cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi not reaching other room

Mackem1973
Grafter

Wifi not reaching other room

HI i moved home a  few weeks ago and brought my wifi package with me. The problem i am having is my wifi is really weak in the room i want my pc in. I live in a small one bedroom flat there is a 15 foot corridor between my router and the room i want my pc in. I have to have my pc hardwired to get my fiber to work as its even weak when my pc is in the same room as my router. My pc is in a bad place right now so cant really stay where it is and help would be really appreciated 

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Wifi not reaching other room

Moderator's note:

Thread Moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mackem1973

Have you tried changing the channel your router is using for WI Fi

If its possible on your router to change the channel because you may be getting interference from neighbouring networks

Brian A

Mackem1973
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Brian A unfortunatly im really no tech minded so have no idea how ti change channels if its at all possible i did do a netwoek check and it seems i have 13 Yes 13 other net works around me so ill assume that is my problem ? also would getting a wifi booster be of any help ? 

Thanks

Anthony

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again Mackem1973

This may help     https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

Brian A

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Anthony.

Firstly thanks for choosing to stay with us at your new address.

In addition to the blog above which explains things, a while ago I made a step by step guide in changing the wireless channel so here goes:

1. Open a web browser and type http://192.168.1.254 into the address bar
2. Press the enter button
3. Click on Advanced Settings
4. Enter the admin password, which is on the card or the back of the router
5. Click on Continue to Advanced Settings
6. Click on Wireless
7. Change the wireless channel (We'd recommend 1, 6 or 11 but you can use any though it may be a case of trial and error)
8. Click Apply

It may be also worth following these steps to split the two 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi frequencies apart. 

1. Follow steps 1 to 6 from above
2. Click on 5 GHz Wireless
3. Make sure Sync to 2.4 GHz is set to No
4. Change the Wireless SSID to something different, for example add 5GHz to the end
5. Click Apply

Using the 5GHz frequency while shorter in range it may prove better for you if you've got a lot of networks around you using the 2.4GHz causing interference.

Failing this, I'd recommend looking at buying a powerline adapter with WiFi to extend the signal though it would be something you'd need to source from a third party retailer.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you can live with it then for the cheapest and most reliable solution buy a longer Ethernet cable. For example see here https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/43-cat5e-rj45-patch-leads?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6oOAy_Se3QIVhbHtCh3MlQ3bEA...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mackem1973
Grafter

Thanks so much for the prompt replies i really do appreciate it  i will try see if it worked some time today as i need the pc right now. could anyone suggest a decent wifi booster/adapter i would really appreciate it thanks in advance. And again thanks so much for replying