Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi 6 Router.

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

Re: Wifi 6 Router.

Would this work with plusnet . I think 5ghz may be fine for oculas

TP-Link AC2800 Dual Band Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, TalkTalk, EE and PlusNet Fibre, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, UK Plug (Archer VR2800)) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WD4RVL4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MHVLFbKXH07R2
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Yes, all VDSL modem routers sold by Amazon will work on Plusnet.   It would replace the Plusnet Hub.  This model does not have Wifi 6 though.  The TPlink is a Wifi 5 model.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

Yes , I am guessing that will be fine for time being . Will WiFi 5 be a lot faster than plusnet ?

Or do you recommend a better router ?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Jonathanwilcox8 wrote:

I need to send video wireless from PC to an Oculus vR headset.

What model? Neither the Quest 1, Go or the Rift support Wi-Fi 6. I think only the Quest 2 does.

@Jonathanwilcox8 wrote:

is this the only option I have, I just need a router that will transfer video over wifi at around 800mbps

800mbps!? What exactly are you trying to do? You need about 8-12mbps for a typical 1080p stream.

I have a Quest 1 and have few issues streaming either video (Skybox) or games (Virtual Desktop) to the headset. Using a Plusnet Hub One at the moment. The important thing to note, is that you will need to be connected to the 5GHz radio for it to be usable i.e. the headset will need to be close to the router.

What router do you have?

@bill888 wrote:
fwiw, one mention of imported chinese version of Honor router 3 working with Oculus Quest 2. Unclear if it is in normal router mode (perhaps wired to Virgin cable modem) or as an Access Point wired to any other ISP superfast router. https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-honor-router-3-wifi-6-3000mbps-wireless-router-ps3583-delive... f

You can buy these direct from Honor for fifty quid. I've used one for a bit. It was OK but nothing groundbreaking, and unless you have Wi-Fi 6 compatible devices, the 5GHz performance is probably on par with most other cheap/mid range routers. It has 2 antenna dedicated to 5GHz (the Hub One has 3), so theoretical speed is ~866mbps (theoretical speed != the speed you will get). Didn't really notice much difference when it came to streaming from desktop > VR headset. Also of note is the fact that it does not have an integrated modem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. will the TP-Link AC2800 be Quicker / Better than the Plusnet Hub one 

I have a quest 2, router will be within 2 meters of headset play area

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

At 2m distance, have you tried 5 GHz wifi on the Hub One with your Oculus ?

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950 

Note there is a problem reported by some users where the 5 GHz stops working.  See the pinned post at top of this sub-forum.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Jonathanwilcox8 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. will the TP-Link AC2800 be Quicker / Better than the Plusnet Hub one 

Quick look at the spec sheet suggests that it will probably perform better on 5GHz.

@bill888 wrote:

Note there is a problem reported by some users where the 5 GHz stops working.  See the pinned post at top of this sub-forum.

Good point. If @Jonathanwilcox8 wants to message me with their Hub One serial number then I'll push a software update that should fix this. It's definitely worth trying the Plusnet router before splashing out on something else.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵