cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi 6 Router.

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

Wifi 6 Router.

I currently have a Plusnet router with a telephone cable going into it. is it possible to upgrade to a wifi 6 router, I can see there is no option to directly input telephone cable. Thisis the one I am looking at

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08CBC2WH2/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=virtua01-21&creat...

21 REPLIES 21
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Wifi 6 Router.

@Jonathanwilcox8 

This is a router. The Hub One is a combined modem/router. You can use one but you will also need to buy a separate modem.

In my opinion a super expensive router is not always the best solution to wireless problems. What precisely is your problem?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

I need to send video wireless from PC to an Oculus vR headset.

can you recommend a modem 

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Modem options

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/What-is-a-suitable-VDSL-modem-for-ASUS-RT-AC86U/td-p/1737511 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

can I do this >

@scobiehague 

Alternatively you could use the Hub One. All that you need to do is turn off the Hub One wireless, set up your  Asus router in  Access Point mode, connect it to a Hub One LAN socket and job done with modern hardware and zero cost.

bill888
Champion

Access Point mode in the RT-AX82u would work.

I'm hesitant about recommending it because you are looking to spend almost 180 quid on the RT-AX82u. By using Access Point mode, you may discover some of the other extra features offered by the Asus, are disabled when in Access Point mode.

fwiw, there is a cheap n cheerful wifi 6 router posted on Hotukdeals for £49.99 for Huawei/Honor 3 router.  I believe it offers Access Point mode too.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-honor-router-3-wifi-6-3000mbps-wireless-router-ps4999-delive... 

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

is this the only option I have, I just need a router that will transfer video over wifi at around 800mbps

bill888
Champion

I'm unclear by what you mean by 'only option' ?

There are no all-in-one Wifi 6 modem-routers on the market at present.  Wifi 6 is still relatively new.  A VDSL modem-router product will eventually appear with a high price tag. May have to wait a year or two.

I'm don't own Oculus VR products, but quick google search brought up this page recommending Wifi 6 router without specifying how many streams the Oculus product supports.  

https://www.androidcentral.com/does-oculus-quest-2-support-wi-fi-6 

There are numerous Wifi 6 routers on the market.  Some are better than others.  Only advice is read the Amazon reviews and decide.

fwiw, one mention of imported chinese version of Honor router 3 working with Oculus Quest 2.  Unclear if it is in normal router mode (perhaps wired to Virgin cable modem) or as an Access Point wired to any other ISP superfast router.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-honor-router-3-wifi-6-3000mbps-wireless-router-ps3583-delive... 

imho, if you were to buy an expensive RT-AX82u, you could try it in Access Point mode, then later buy a VDSL bridge modem if you decide you wish to use the other features offered by the Asus.

I can only suggest you buy a router from a retailer that has a good Returns/Refunds policy in case you change your mind.

Baldrick1

1. @Jonathanwilcox8 wrote:

I need to send video wireless from PC to an Oculus vR headset.

There seems to be a few missing bits of information that everyone is ignoring:

1.Is the PC also connected wirelessly? If so how far is it from the router? Are they in the same room?

2. How far is the VR headset from the router? Again, in the same room?

I would think that the best arrangement would be for the lot to be in the same room with the PC connected via an Ethernet cable. If necessary run an Ethernet cable to the PC from the Hub and also to where you use the headset and there fit a WiFi 6 WAP for a lot less money.

If they are in the same room and the PC connected via Ethernet the chances are that a £20 Smarthub 6 would do the job on the 5GHz band.

Moderator and Customer

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

Yes, Thanks everyone. My PC is connected via ethernet and VR is in Same Room.

what WIFI 6 WAP can I use. also how do I set this up.

sorry, everything is so complicated 

Baldrick1

@Jonathanwilcox8 

I know that WiFi 6 is very modern and trendy but do you really need it? I would think that the average WAP with a 5GHz 802.11 ac band would do the job. Unless anyone knows differently?

On second thoughts it is pushing it a bit! 

Moderator and Customer

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

I not sure . But if I did want to add WiFi 6 to Plusnet router , what would I need and how can this be set up
Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

could someone help? just need to find something on amazon that will suit and how would I go about setting up

Jonathanwilcox8
Dabbler

I been lookingg at this, I think 5gh will be fine. not sure if this router any good tho ? or if its copyable with plus net ?

bill888
Champion

@Jonathanwilcox8 wrote:
I not sure . But if I did want to add WiFi 6 to Plusnet router , what would I need and how can this be set up

Already been answered, even by yourself!   

If you must use Plusnet router, you will need a wifi 6 router which supports Access Point mode.   (Preferred option would be to buy a VDSL bridged modem to wire up to any wifi 6 router you choose to buy, but if you don't wish to do so for time being, so be it)

https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AX82U/specifications/ 

4plusnet.jpg

Stay away from Dlink routers. Historically, they do not have Access Point mode.  Most Linksys and TPlink routers offer Access Point mode nowadays.   Even the £50 Honor Router 3 offers access point mode.

Sorry, I cannot recommend which is best. They are all '1st generation' Wifi 6 products so may have issues.  Check Amazon reviews and decide for yourself how much you wish to spend and what the reviews are like.  Amazon has a tendency of combining reviews for multiple products.   Someone else may be able to make a recommendation.  (The RT-AX82u seems like 'overkill' to me but that's just my opinion)

Instructions for setting up Access Point mode will vary between manufacturers.  Some even use a phone app, but most will usually run through a Quick setup wizard in a web browser, asking you simple questions like do you want to use it in Access Point (some times called Bridge) mode.