cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Booster recommendation?

Roobynfinn

WiFi Booster recommendation?

My WiFI sapped seems ok but the signal reach to the bedroom (working from home) is variable. I have looked at all the guides to try and rectify this - it hasn't worked. Colleagues have used a wifi booster that plugs into an electrical socket. Can anyone recommend something that works well with plusnet hub? Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: WiFi Booster recommendation?

@Roobynfinn 

First question is are you in a house or flat? If house I assume the bedroom is upstairs.

Powerline units might work, but from memory they don't do too well moving from downstairs to upstairs - the signal has to go through the fuse box which can (and does) disrupt things.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Roobynfinn 

Options to consider: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

What suits you depends on your home layout and your budget.

Other options include getting a hub with better WiFi performance. Many use a BT Smarthub bought cheaply from Ebay. You will find more information on this pinned to the top of this Router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

I have PN router downstairs which is not particularly good wifi.

Netgear booster upstairs on landing covers who;e house with a very good signal. I actually bought the single band cheaper version from Argos on a whim and that proved an excellent buy at £20. I also use a TP-Link powerline adapter for a non wifi Sky box and that is excellent too. You could plug a laptop into that if you are not wandering about the house.

There is also a Netgear signal strength checker app which you can put on your phone and check the wifi signal wherever you are.