cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi working on old BT router despite moving to Plusnet

RobHicky

Wi fi working on old BT router despite moving to Plusnet

Just joined Plusnet from BT. Had a few issues last week where my broadband was due to switch over from BT on Thursday but by Wendesday my router hadn't arrived. Something had gone wrong in the system and so it hadn't been automatically sent. I was assuming I'd be disconnected from Bt on Thursday and be wifi less until the router from plusnet turned up which was going to be very annoying!

However I got the email on thursday saying I was now with plusnet but the wifi still worked, and in fact is still working on the old hub without me doing anything,. Two routers have now turned up from plusnet, the basic one and the one that looks like the BT hub. After convesations with BT just now it appears my broadband was transferred over successfully to Plusnet on thursday and my wifi has been working on the old router as it's compatible using the old login details.

So...as it's working fine am i ok just to leave it as it is rather than install Plusnet's router or even bother changing the login info?
Any advantage/disadvantage for doing that? I'm sort of loathe to change things if everything is working ok as it normally does!

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Wi fi working on old BT router despite moving to Plusnet

@RobHicky  Welcome to the forum.

It's possible that the contract has transferred but BT have not got around to shutting down the connection so both currently work. I do not believe for one moment that your BT router has automatically configured itself to work with Plusnet. One way to check if your Plusnet service is active is to plug one of your Plusnet routers in and see if it sets itself up.

Depending on how old your BT router is it will either have better WiFi capability compared with a Plusnet Hub Zero or be more stable compared with a Hub One. Many of us have dumped our Plusnet routers in favour of a BT Smarthub 6. 

So whatever you do, keep your BT router and consider using that on your Plusnet connection. It needs special settings, which you will find on the router.board or come back here for further advice

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@RobHicky  my guess is that your switch has been delayed for some reason and it hasnt happened yet.

If you go to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and put in your telephone number, in the text below the speed estimates screen, is theere a parahgraph containing 'There is an open order on your line , due to complete on .....' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You could try putting in:
https://www.whatismyip.com/

It will give you your WAN address and whom
it belongs to. I assume PlusNet ones are not labelled as BT, as BT own them.

Maybe someone on a PlusNet connection can try
it.
RobHicky

Hmm, there is a line that says:

There is currently a Broadband cease pending or in progress against this line. This cease is due to complete by 31st January 2020. This will not stop you ordering Broadband from a new supplier, but it will delay the provision of the new Broadband service.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm, I don't really know much about these things but I guess the move has aleady happened and all is fine, or hasn't been moved at all.

I would do the whatismyip check to confirm and maybe a PlusNet member of staff can see if your account looks active from their side?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@RobHicky Hmm, thats not good! There shouldnt be any cease at all, but the fact that the date has passed and its still showing sounds like orders have got 'stuck' in the system.

We need a PlusNet staffer to look into what has happened. Hopefully one of the Help team will be along shortly...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobHicky

Well i've just spoken to technical as i tried to set up my new router and it didn't work. There seems to be some sort of fault which will take 5 working days to fix. So for now i've plugged by old BT router back in and hopefully that will work until whatever problem it is gets fixed!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Plusnet send emails saying the service has moved, BT claim that the their routers autoconfigure to pick up Plusnet log on credentials!

Incompetence appears to be endemic across BT plc divisions.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @RobHicky,

I'm sorry your service was delayed in transferring to us and you've not got a fault there. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the frustration caused. I've tried to find your account but there are no details pertaining to it through your profile - feel free to drop a PM my way with the account username and we can investigate this for you.

Just leave a message on this thread once you've sent that PM across.

Thanks.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quick question:
Did you phone BT and ask to cancel, before you signed up to plusnet?