Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi not connecting to plusnet router

FIXED
Trumpet1
Hooked

Wi Fi not connecting to plusnet router

Ok I’m not a Rooky when it comes to this stuff, here goes. My partners laptop after many years use has crashed and burned. She has used it on Wi-Fi in the present location for this length of time. We have just purchased a desk too to replace it with a usb Wi-Fi unit. Bearing in mind Wi-Fi has always worked in this location. When I search for Wi-Fi routers it comes up with three, plusnet (strongest) sky no1 and sky no2 , I presume the two sky ones are near neigbours. When I click on the sky routers it immediately as expected comes up asking for the router password , which of course we don’t have . When I click on the plusnet one it seems to do a search but Never asks for the password, it just says can not connect , or words to that effect. Although it’s the strongest Wi-Fi I have tried moving the computer to within feet of the router. ALL other devices connected to this router works fine with a download speed of 25mps.
What am I doing wrong
Rog Trumpet.
10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Wi Fi not connecting to plusnet router

Fix

@Trumpet1 Is the Plusnet signal yours?

John
Trumpet1
Hooked

Yes it IS my router proved by switch it off and watching it disappear from screen. Download speed on router is at present 25mps , all other devices working fine.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Trumpet1 That does not make sense - can you provide a screenshot  of that actual message, please. It may just be possible the Wi-Fi adapter you have is not compatible - which will possibly need input from other Community members, although I'll try my best. What make/model of adapter?

John
Trumpet1
Hooked

How do I attach two screen shots, they are jpg but can’t see how to attach
jab1
Legend

Click the icon to the right of the 'smiley' one and follow instructions. If you are using a tablet/phone, you will need to request the 'desktop' version of this site for it to work.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

What is the "usb WiFi unit" - is it a recent purchase?

Which router are you using?

If I had to guess here, this might be an old usb WiFi card which only supports a or b mode WiFi whilst the router is configured in n mode only.  In such circumstances, the PC will see the WiFi SSID but not be able to establish a connection.

I could be completely wrong...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Trumpet1
Hooked

A new usb wi Fi dongle received this morning cured the problem
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

In that case, mode incompatibility would be the most likely culprit. Legacy a, b and g modes do not work with some modern routers. The devices can see the WiFi SSID but cannot negotiate a connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Trumpet1
Hooked

Yep a new usb Wi-Fi dongle cured this , thanks everyone