Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which booster to get

Diski
Hooked

Which booster to get

Hi

This is my first post on the forum as I've not been able to find any threads that already cover this. Apologies if they are out there but its all new to me.

I have a Plusnet router 2704N, and wifi is ok in most of the house but not in the bedroom furthest from the router.

Any advice on what type of booster to get? Looked at the Tp ones but not sure what would work best. 

Any simple fixes if there are any would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Which booster to get

@Diski 

See if this helps  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Alternatively the WiFi performance of the Hub Zero is dire. If you buy a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site it might do the job without needing extenders. The go for around £20 Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Diski
Hooked

Thanks, the article is very helpful as are your detailed instructions for the BT hub

Looks like you're saying really its my router thats the problem, whereas I was hoping I could just buy an extender/booster and plug it in for an easy fix.

Hey ho such is life. 

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Netgear do some extenders that are easy to set up and quite effective. I now get wifi in my greenhouse at the end of the garden.

I would go for this Dual Band one but I have the cheaper one and it works fine.

Have never understood why "free" routers are handed out with poor performance when a better one could perhaps be made available at a modest subsidised price.

Off topic rant: I see PN are still offering good deals to New Customers Only........

Diski
Hooked

Thank you, I'll talke a look at this, and also keep the router in mind when its time to renew/renegotiate my contract......

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Diski wrote:

wifi is ok in most of the house but not in the bedroom furthest from the router.

If it's just a case of reaching that one bedroom, a friend with a similar situation has had excellent results with this one .

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@198kHz wrote:

If it's just a case of reaching that one bedroom, a friend with a similar situation has had excellent results with this one .

That is the "cheap" singleband one I also suggested.  Bought on a whim at Argos and can't fault Netgeat products.

Diski
Hooked

Many thanks, looks like this would be a reasonably priced good first try at solving the problem.
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Let us know how you get on!

Diski
Hooked

Will do 🙂
Diski
Hooked

Update:

Bought the cheaper netgear booster on the basis that if it didn't work I hadn't lost much.

Straightforward to set up and  signal looks alot stronger - the test will be the next zoom call!

Thanks everyone, your advice and suggestions really helped.