Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats better to use

roger3094
Hooked

Whats better to use

Hi All

Would a TP-Link Archer VR400 be better then the Plusnet Hub One. 

Only been with Plusnet for 4 days now and the speed is all over the place, so have been doing regular speed tests.

One minute it will be at 20mbs then 30mbs then 3mbs then 10mbs the 20mbs then 5mbs, 8mbs, 3mbs, etc etc. 

Have also been checking on what is connected to the wifi, can be 2 phones, 2 pcs, a laptop and tablet not all using wifi. I did have the nowtv 10mbs before and it did have it hickups, but covered the family ok ish?, never as much issues as now.

Now though lots of bufferting when trying to watch something online.

I have odered a ethernet cable to run into my pc, will mean having to drill holes through a wall and run up and around 2 door ways, what pain. And the Hub one is only in my hall around 10 feet away, pointing straight at me. 

3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Whats better to use

Ha!

I'm currently going through a RMA process for a TP-Link Archer VR400 - just died after 13 months.

It came with a 3 year gaurantee and actually I strongly suspect its the power supply that is at fault - otherwise its an excellent device.

Currently using a Plusnet Hub 1. 😐

For some years now I've been using Gigabit ethernet cable for my TV and main PC. My cable runs in such a way that it passes near the TV and then the PC. So I've got an ethernet switch under the TV that saves me running multiple ethernet cables back to the router. All high speed devices are plugged into the switch, including a device to hold my backups.

Laptops & phones have to manage with wifi.

The Hub 1 has decided to a reboot several times in the last 3 days whilst I'm watching TV. But otherwise its speed is the same and absolutely stable at 70Mb/sec over the last year.

But the Hub 1 can only be configured with enormous difficulty.

It will be replaced when a new TP-Link Archer VR400 arrives.

But I would try the ethernet cable before you buy a better router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PLIW
Hooked

Anything is better than the Plusnet Hub. Depends on budget of what you want to spend or need from it. Remember this is on 24/7 365. It’s easy to spend £20 but sometimes worth more.

roger3094
Hooked

Thanks for the response, i already have the Archer V400, bought it when i was with talk talk, you could stand next to their router and still not get a wifi signal. My last provider was nowtv, but they do not let you have any details to set up and use your own router. So the Archer has just been sitting in the cupboard. 

Will most likely run the cable, will be a pain to get it to my PC. I found that running an ethernet cable is better then running out the phone cable, but my router location, which is not far away from my PC, wil still need me to run it up and over 2 doorways and i will need to drill through a wall. If i decide to also connect one of my kids PCs then will need to drill a bigger hole trough the chimney breast, to keep it tidy had original only drilled a small hole for the sat cable. 

Plus have to keep in the mind the free roaming in-door rabbit we have, he does have a habbit of eatting cables, every now and then, so have to make sure they are not easy to get to, saying that he is sellected on what type cable he likes. 

I have ordered a 15mtr flat ethernet cable, Cat 7, so will see how that goes. Good reviews on Amazon and not costly.