cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What modem?

bill1312
Hooked

What modem?

Hi! I am going to install my own router, Asus RT-AC68U.

I have an old  BT Openreach modem (Description NGA ECI-CPE-Modems Type 1B) (Model B-Focus V-2Fub/r Rev B). I am not sure whether it is suitable for connecting to ISP/Router, I am fibre to cabinet. Can anyone tell me if modem will work or not?

Also, To connect the modem do I just have to connect it to telephone line and power to connect automatically? Or is there some set up to go through?

Bill

6 REPLIES 6
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: What modem?

The ECI B-Focus is designed to work with a fibre to the cabinet connection. The Asus RT-AC68U doen't have a built in VDSL modem so you will need to use the ECI B-Focus modem in conjunction with the RT-AC68U.

Connect the ECI-B Focus DSL port to the micro filter or directly to the DSL port on the phone socket ( if you have one of the new kind with the split face plate) using an RJ11 cable.

Connect the LAN 1 on the ECI-B Focus modem to the WAN port of the RT-AC68U using an ethernet cable, power up the modem and the router, configure the router to PPPoE and enter your Plusnet username (format youruser@plusdsl.net) and password into the router.

The ECI B-Focus is locked down, so you won't be able to see connection stats e.g. line speed, signal to noise ratio, attenuation etc..

If you want connection stats get youself a Huawei HG612 3B of ebay, which can be unlocked using instructions readily found on the web. You should aim to pay no more that £10-15 pounds for one (including postage).

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

PS The modem doesn't require any configuration, it is already configured by Openreach to work with FTTC.

bill1312
Hooked

Mikelahey

Have sent off for the  Huawei Echolife HG612 Model 3B.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the response.

Bill

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

My first VDSL (in 2010) modem was an HG612 and it got pretty hot. When I moved I got a B-Focus and it is as cool as could be. I thought that you might be interested in the heat issue.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I understand that the early HG612 did have a heat problem. I had a 3B model and it got warm but not excessively so.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

smoothpainting
Grafter

The Draytek Vigor 130 modem is another option worth mentioning and very stable.