cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a suitable VDSL modem for ASUS RT-AC86U?

scobiehague

What is a suitable VDSL modem for ASUS RT-AC86U?

Hi. I'm on the Unlimited Fibre Extra plan. Fibre straight to the router is not available in my area, so copper runs from the cabinet (if I understand what the tech who installed the broadband said). My current line speed is 67.2Mbps.

I've successfully replaced the Hub One with a new ASUS RT-AC86U router connected through PPoE to an old (expired) BT Openreach modem (ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B) that Plusnet sent me years ago. As the expired VDSL modem is probably going to break or catch fire sooner or later, I want a modern replacement. I'm willing to spend more to avoid any bottlenecks on the Asus router, but will a cheap modem do? What specification should I look for? Thanks for any help.

Edit to add: I'm ok with flashing firmware of any replacement modem, but prefer to avoid hassle of soldering or needing to order serial cable to flash it.

4 REPLIES 4
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: What is a suitable VDSL modem for ASUS RT-AC86U?

TPlink TD-W9970 (Broadcom) router offers bridge mode - cheapest 'new' option.

Draytek Vigor 130 (Broadcom I think)

Discontinued Netgear DM200 (Lantiq)

Discontinued Openreach ECI modem (Lantiq)

Discontinued Openreach Huawei HG612 type 3B (Broadcom)

Discontinued BT Business Hub 5 (Lantiq) offers bridge mode  (Must be 'Business' version) **

BT Business Smart Hub (Broadcom) offers bridge mode. (Must be 'Business' version) **

Bridge modems are pretty dumb devices.

** = could be susceptible to unwanted automated firmware updates by BT as they have TR069 remote management access to these devices.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@scobiehague 

Alternatively you could use the Hub One. All that you need to do is turn off the Hub One wireless, set up your  Asus router in  Access Point mode, connect it to a Hub One LAN socket and job done with modern hardware and zero cost.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

CShep
Hooked

This is super helpful thank you very much
ci1
Hooked

@scobiehague

I am in almost exactly the same position - except I also think my router may be on the blink.

Your post is old, so may I ask what your eventually solution was and how it work-out?