Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD MyCloud - not recognised

FIXED
Donnygal
Dabbler

WD MyCloud - not recognised

I have seen some earlier post on this, but they do not resolve the issue.

I have just changed from Talktalk to Plusnet.  I can no longer connect to MyCloud via wifi.  I can connect via the web, but that doesn't really help, as I cannot use the File Manager, and I can connect when I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable, but it is difficult to do with a desktop.  Someone suggested the possibility of changing the router id from 192.168.1.254   as on TalkTalk it was 192.168.1.1  whether this is relevant or not I am unsure, but at the moment I am not a happy bunny with a piece of not inexpensive equipment not able to be used.

Has anyone resolved it, and how?

Thanks

DG

15 REPLIES 15
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: WD MyCloud - not recognised

@Donnygal 

Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked on your WD MyCloud you have the correct Wi-Fi credentials (password and connecting to the new SSID), if you don't then Wi-Fi will not work.

Donnygal
Dabbler

Yes, if it was wrong, then I wouldn't be able to send this.  Smiley

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@Donnygal 

Let's start from scatch. How is your NAS connected to your network, presemably via an Ethernet cable between NAS and hub? If so can you log into your hub go to the network page and see the NAS connected?

When you say that you can log into it from your laptop then is it via the hub or are you connecting the two together directly and by passing your network? If so what IP address are you using?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Donnygal
Dabbler

From scratch 
Nas to router Ethernet.

on router WDCloud showing connected wired, with the same IP as it was in the previous router, though not set to fixed.

if I connect laptop via Ethernet cable to the router, NAS shows up in the network tab in File Manager, if via wifi it doesn't even in same room as router. 
However, Both iPad & iPhone connect Using the App via wifi.

Before change of router It connected via wifi and showed in the Network tab on File Manager and has done for 4 years.

if I use the web connection it will connect.

DG

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Assuming windows, have you set the new Plusnet network to private and not public?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Donnygal
Dabbler

Yes, I did try Public, as will try anything, even though not happy about it, no change. Windows 10

Baldrick1

Have you tried renewing the IP settings on the laptop?

Open a command window by typing cmd in the windows search box, run it as administrator.

Enter:  ipconfig /release

Then:  ipconfig /renew

Moderator and Customer

Donnygal
Dabbler

I've just tried it, with no success. DG

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

I've some experience with the WD MyCloud although I don't have my one to hand at the moment.

As I recall there is some sort of software for the MyCloud although I've never needed to use it.

Can you see the login page on the MyCloud by just entering the IP address of the MyCloud ?

If so, can you do this on both cabled and wireless connections ?

Assuming the answer is yes then it's a windows config problem on the laptop.

I've generally found giving the MyCloud a static IP address (either by reservation which I think the Hub One supports or just setting it on the MyCloud)  and then mapping a network drive and share in windows is reliable.

In Windows 10 (and earlier versions) you should see the MyCloud as a "computer" in "Network" in file manager.

In "This PC" you can "Map Network Drive" and set Drive M; to \\<IP address of MyCloud>\<share name> and get at the share like that.

Try all this in wired and wireless and report back.

I am the satisfied customer....
Donnygal
Dabbler

The plot thickens!

Yes, the mapped network drives is what I want to get back to. I set the IP address to static yesterday too on the router.

if I connect via wired I get back to them,  wireless no.

However, I brought the laptop into the same room as the router last night, still the same problem.  I have a Tenda Nova MW5 mesh system, which was connected via the TT router as a bridge, with the wifi switched off on the router, as recommended.  I could use the network drives OK.

Did the same for the new router.  Last night tried leaving the wifi on, No change, off No change.  Then I unplugged the Nova unit.  I got connection, reconnected the Nova, it had gone.  This does not solve my problem as unable to stay next to the router, and need the Nova system to keep wifi Across the bungalow & outside to two wifi CCTV cameras.  

The Novas are attached on the 192.168,5. Range, Does this have an impact?

Baldrick1

@Donnygal 

@Donnygal wrote:

The Novas are attached on the 192.168,5. Range, Does this have an impact?

I do not know what this means but if you are using the Novas in Access Point (might be called bridge mode?) then if the IP address is fixed in the Nova it should be in the range 192.168.1.2-63.

Are you saying that this post is all about you not being able to connect to your NAS via your attached Mesh system WiFi and not the router wireless? If so it puts rather a different complexion to your problem.

Moderator and Customer

Donnygal
Dabbler

I totally agree, but as the NAS worked via the Nova previously with the TT router, I was unaware of this factor, until the idea to try it without last night.

i have not fixed the address in the Nova,  but will look into this today.  While OK on the pc side certainly Have L plates on Comms, so any pointers welcome.  DG

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

@Donnygal  I've just looked at the manual for the MW5 (goodness the Tenda website is SLOW!). It's Internet settings should be set to Bridge to work in your situation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Donnygal
Dabbler

Thank folks

Utter embarrassment here.  So why would the Nova change its connection?   I have put it back to Bridge, and guess what, yes I'm working again 😄

Quick question, am I better with the wifi on the router on or off?  Biggest annoyance is the orange light if off!

I'll blame the fact that the desktop video card decided to give up on me at the same time, so had to invoke the long term plan of making my elderly laptop my desktop, and moving data over, coupled with having to transfer a data for a friend from old to new laptop, and get MSMoney working, some folk can't change, but being fair she is 81.  

Next problem, decide what new laptop I want! 

Thank you all   DG