Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual lan question

FIXED
BorderCollie
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Virtual lan question

Having switched my Hub One for a VR2600 (glad) I need a little info on setting up a VLAN to redirect ports to the second VLAN.

Not specifically asking for non PN/BT router support, more a question of peoples experience and any info in setting up at the WAN end of things.

Scenario: pc running xyz app within my normal lan is fine, port redirection works well and all is solid, accessible from the Internet seamlessly.

The TP-LINK VR2600 supports VLANs (interface grouping) to allow some separation without going the whole hog of a DMZ and exposing the machine to the full [-Censored-] of the Internet.

So, I moved the app PC to a specific port on the router and set up a VLAN, it gets a new DHCP pool address, cannot access the main lan but can quite happily access the Internet - all good.

Unfortunately, when I change the port redirection to the vlan from the main lan I can tell the port gets opened, but it doesn't get to the PC.

Tried various things and no luck so far.

There is talk of setting up a new wan connection (TP-LINK refer to IPTV and I think there is such a thing as PNTV) but what settings may be required are far from clear.

Any off the wall thoughts welcome!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Virtual lan question

@BorderCollie, do you not have to tag the WAN interface with the same VLAN tag? In my DrayTek router I have this option.

WAN VLAN Tagging

BorderCollie
Hooked

In a way, in the interface grouping screen you can choose which wan interface to use - implying I need to set up a secondary one instead of just letting the router face the net and then route and port forward as required.

However I can't see any info regarding what vdsl id or other settings I should use.

I haven't found anything on setting up a second interface with PN yet although the implication is that it would be the same process to access the PN TV service.

Many thanks for your prompt response!

Selection_021.png

BorderCollie
Hooked

Fix

I finally got this to work.

However, only when group isolation is NOT checked.

Not quite what I was expecting but I'll do more tests to see just what does and does not flow between lans.

Hey ho!

In the end I didn't have to set up any tags or bridges as I'd hoped.

Hope this helps someone else, I'm still interested in other opinions on the subject

Cheers to all

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Different router manufacturers have different interpretations of the term "VLAN".

I've a Draytek and they will allow different ports to be put into one or more "VLANs".

I use this to have a (networked) printer that is accessible to all devices (both "VLANs") but isolate one wifi network and set of LAN ports from another. If each router port has a small hub on it, the whole arrangement makes more sense.

Draytek allow "isolation" on wireless networks which seems to mean that any device connected can get to the Internet but not see any other device on the same wireless network. I have a "guest" network that does this.

While the whole setup isn't massively secure (and isn't intended to be) thus far it has been fairly "teenager proof".

For investigating such setups "Fing" is quite useful. Other similar tools are available.

I am the satisfied customer....