cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Stoppedclock
Hooked

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Just spoken to JL tech support again and, in case it’s helpful to anyone else, they’ve confirmed that JL broadband won’t work with any 3rd party router.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Stoppedclock wrote:
Just spoken to JL tech support ..., they’ve confirmed that JL broadband won’t work with any 3rd party router.

I wonder how they square it with this: https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/support/broadband/fibre/fibre-faq.html#alternateRouter, and this:  https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/support/customer-service/server-addresses.html

Anyway, I refer to this response a couple of months ago from our very own and credible wizard.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Switching-from-Plusnet-to-John-Lewis-using-BT-Home-Hub/m-p/1...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Whilst it might apply to some of the BT hub variants, I'm almost entirely certain both the Plusnet Hub One and Hub Two can be used on a John Lewis line.

This is from the regex in the domain whitelisting section of the Hub One router config:-

(domain(^john-lewis&5c;.com$))

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Admittedly, last I checked & tried was quite a while ago (circa. 2016). It’s possible there’s been a change in one of the firmware versions since then to allow it. 

If that’s the case, apologies all. Embarrassed

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Baldrick1

@bobpullen wrote:

Whilst it might apply to some of the BT hub variants, I'm almost entirely certain both the Plusnet Hub One and Hub Two can be used on a John Lewis line.

This is from the regex in the domain whitelisting section of the Hub One router config:-

(domain(^john-lewis&5c;.com$))

I guess that it’s a question of whether this line of code was added to the Plusnet version of the firmware due to the tie up between the two but not included in the BT firmware. Does the original firmware pre date when Plusnet started managing JL broadband?

Moderator and Customer

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I think we were still managing JL broadband, however I doubt including the JL realms/domains was a requirement during Smarthub 1 development. I don't have a Smarthub 1 to hand at the moment, else I'd check.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nmart

Help. New to the community.

Just bought a new bt smarthub 6 ( business ).

I have followed all your comprehensive instructions( thanks), but cannot for the life of me get in to connect.

I have managed to reset, and input new user and password. When I click on the green connect button. nothing happens. Have tried plugging dsl cable in at various times in the process but still cant connect. Have attached image to show.

Am I missing something in the instructions? very frustrating.

Neil.

Baldrick1

@nmart  Welcome to the forum.

Your ‘attached image’ is missing.

If you switch the hub off then back on are your Plusnet credentials being retained or does it revert to the default BT ones?

Have you read this further update? https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@nmart 

Just for information you cannot add images until you've made a couple of posts.

Brian

jwsg
Rising Star

Mine seems to have installed firmware SG4B1000E077 recently

nmart

Hi, Thanks for reply.

Apparently I cant attach any images yet as Im a newbie. 

Yes the router has retained my plusnet credentials. It didnt initially and took a few attempts.

When I click on the connect button, the pink ' connecting' progress box appears. It tries for a few minutes then reverts back to green connect button. I have tried plugging the dsl cable in at various times after clicking the connect button ( and even before). Should the router prompt you to plug cable in? 

Would appreciate any advice.

Baldrick1

You should be aware that this is a bodge to get a BT hub to work with Plusnet so there is no prompt as it connects automatically for BT customers. The fact that it tries to connect suggests that the username is correct. Have you checked your password by using it to connect to your Plusnet account? Have you checked that it doesn't contain a special character as per the link in my last post? If necessary change it to just letters and numbers and try again.

Moderator and Customer

nmart

Hi, Yes understand it is a workaround. 

Username and password works fine on plusnet hub one. password is just letters all lower case, so nothing unusual.

when I click connect, router is flashing purple, then flashing orange once dsle is plugged in. Then reverts to solid orange.

managed to sttach images no. thanks.IMG_20220309_091546.jpgIMG_20220309_091535.jpgIMG_20220311_115341.jpgIMG_20220311_115331.jpg

HTeeBee
Grafter

@nmart 

Try adding a number to your password rather than all letters.

nmart

My original password was letters and numbers. It didnt work. Changed password to just letters, doesnt work.

They both work(ed) fine on plusnet.