Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

fletpablo
Grafter

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

TXS life on mars did not realise i have been with PlusNet since  2012 

This is secound BT router i have purchased   the first i   purchased was  a few years ago  BT hub 6     which  was logging me  out  all the time this  BTHub 2 " seems fine so far but only been working since Saturday 

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Expect a firmware update to your Smart Hub 2 to v0.24.04.11017-BT  if not already updated, then it usually boots every 14days  

fletpablo
Grafter

HI life on Mars

You seem to know a lot concerning BT Hubs so the question is when this BT 2 hub boots up every  14 Day    should it  create any probelms for PlusNet users in connection, ,as this was my problem with last BT Hub 6 where it was parodically logging out  

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

I d not know too much about them except that they had worked for me in the past . They should not log out, just reboot every 14days . @Baldrick1 is the expert.

fletpablo
Grafter

HI Life on mars 

thanks I  give  Baldrick1 a quick text 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@fletpablo 

Also in reply to your PM.

The 14 day soft resett happens whether you are a BT customer or a Plusnet one. This does not affect any of the settings

reset.jpg

The settings can get lost in unusual circumstances unconnected with this 14 day event. I suspect that it is caused by the firmware crashing then automatically rebooting to start itself up again. This is a common software technique intitaiated by a software watchdog identifying that there is a problem.This causes the hub to revert to the default settings and hence lose the Plusnet credentials. I have never had this problem in the several years that I have used one but a relative who lives in an isolated location has had it happen twice. Consequently I put this down to a glitch on the mains either in the form of a surge or brown out.

If this is a regular problem I would recommend getting a small UPS to see if that fixes it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

fletpablo
Grafter

HI Baldrick 1

I want to thankyou for your reply 

can you explain this unit UPS unit  if i want  purchase if in the event i need too 

asm46598
Dabbler

Hi all, I have recently purchased a used Business HH 6 and it seems to be working great, wifi is noticeably improved. I have a question about the BT_Guest_Wi-Fi SSID. I have enabled this and it is working. Since I am with Plusnet and not BT I was wondering if there were any technical or legal reasons why I should NOT enable BT_Guest_Wi-Fi? Thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@asm46598 

Guest WiFi on a business Smarthub is designed for pubs cafes etc and is not password protected. Consequently anyone within wireless range can connect to it. It’s up to you but my advice is to turn it off unless you want to offer free Internet access to everyone in your locality.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Chilliman

I have also just bought a new BT Business hub 6 from Ebay and although I have followed the instructions to the letter I still can't get my plusnet credentials to persist after a reboot. So although I am getting a good connection speed wise etc all the while I am connected through to plusnet , I will need to reset everything whenever the power goes off.

I wasn't aware that some BT routers are locked until I started googling for answers. I wanted a better router than the one supplied by plusnet and saw adverts and articles mentioning using these BT hubs with Plusnet.  

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

Your BT Smart Hub should stay connected with your plusnet username and password after a reboot. The Smart Hubs are known to reboot every 14 days anyway.

The only time it would/should  revert back to the BT default settings would be a Reset/Hard reset.

Chilliman

I decided to try once more this morning and after powering up I discovered amazingly that it still had my plusnet settings. Originally when I followed Baldrick1's instructions I couldn't see the menu option regarding the 'smart setup'  but came across it yesterday hidden away in the Status page so was able to turn it off. ( have also just seen Baldricks updated instructions where he mentions that the smart setup option has been moved to the Status section) I think leaving this on most probably was the main cause why the hub was reloading the BT credentials each time.

stalwart-thorp
Hooked

Hi all. I've bought a Smarthub 084316 and followed the OP to the letter - but all I'm getting is a solid orange light.... It just refuses to connect with my @plusdsl.net username & password. What can I be doing wrong? As per "Step 10." in the OP, I've been "patient" for serveral minutes, and several minutes more - but the steady orange light ain't changing to blue! Will it stay orange for as long as it's updating firmware(s) and turn blue (eventually) when it's been updated? Should I be waiting out for longer?

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

A solid orange means hub working but not connected to the internet.

It will not be updating firmware at this stage.

Have you

unchecked  / Turned off smart set up ?

using correct password.  yourusername@plusdsl.net and the password you use to log into your member centre.

(Some hubs dependent on firmware when received do not like odd characters  in the password such as %$£@&*(){_ etc  so change password if you have these characters, and wait for updated firmware to occur then change back to a stronger password)

Try a reset/ from the hub interface  and a Strong reset by pressing the reset hole in for at least 30/40 seconds,.

Only plug dsl cable in when ready to connect after entering your details in and connect.

remember to turn smart set up off again after a reset.