Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@Kel1980 wrote:
Thank you so I could do it on my phone without a computer? And do it that way before I plug it all in to the master socket?

In a word YES. Obviously you will have to connect to the wireless and log in with your phone rather than using a comouter.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SAABDude
Grafter

New firmware version SG4B1000E040 applied overnight here.

Using BT HH6 - so the home not the business version.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Baldrick1 Installed a BT buisness smart hub and just wondering how long before it updates to the latest firmware, current details are

SG4B1B0092B4

03-May-2019

Detailed installation instructions are great many thanks

Baldrick1

@mort7890 

This is a very good question. Sometimes they update straight away when you first boot them up, other times it takes longer. Despite being connected to Plusnet they check in with the associated BT server through TR069 every 24 hours and some but not all go through a soft reset routine every two weeks, so sooner or later this should trigger an update. 

When there are updates it can take a few weeks to roll it out to everyone.

Moderator and Customer

mort7890
Pro

HI @Baldrick1 

For your information the router had been active for 3 days with no update however when I switched on the BT Wi-Fi leaving the public wi-fi off the router updated within minutes.

Baldrick1

@mort7890 

That's interesting. I assume that it connected to the BT servers to try to activate this feature and that triggered the update.

But why would you want to switch it on? It can't be used.

Moderator and Customer

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Baldrick1 I assume so also as I was just looking through all the options, switched off after noticing update. Just another query regarding Wi-Fi (2.4ghz 5ghz) on the home page (see attached) it states 5ghz is off but it is switched on (see attached) any suggestions please.

Baldrick1

@mort7890 

Sorry, that's a new one on me. Is it actually active?

All that I can suggest is that you toggle the settings to see if it unsticks it .

Moderator and Customer

amarshe
Hooked

Amazing.  Thanks for posting this, i've gone from a terrible connection in a back room with frequent VPN dropouts to a very good signal (on 5GHz too!).

£25 for a brand new business hub 6 on eBay, the only change from your original post being that 'smart setup' is now under 'wireless connection'

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Baldrick1 Tried toggling it on and off tried resetting the hub but it is still not showing so cannot connect to the 5ghz currently all connected to 2.4ghz so now unsure as to the next step.

Baldrick1

@mort7890 

When you say reset do you mean factory reset? If so did you leave the switch closed for about 30 seconds?

This hub has been an awkward one fron the start!

Moderator and Customer

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Baldrick1 Sorry no I only did a restart from the home page, presume I need to do a full factory reset then set it up again. May leave it a couple of days as I do not want to loose speed as I think I may if I keep interrupting the  connection. Will keep you informed.

Kel1980

Thank you thats great so dont put into master socket until I've put my details in ect? Will I still be able to sort bt router out over wireless even though its not plugged into master socket? Sorry for all questions new to all this
Baldrick1

@Kel1980 

Just to make this crystal clear:

When setting up the Smarthub 6 to work on a Plusnet account, apart from the mains the only other connection to the Smarthub is either through an Ethernet or wireless link. If you are connecting wirelessly you need to go into your device available wireless networks setting, select the Smarthub SSID and input the password from the pull out tab on the Smarthub. Whatever device you have used to connect to the Smarthub must NOT have any other connections to the internet so if you use a phone with mobile data you need to switch mobile data OFF before you start.

Regardless of whether you use Ethernet or wireless you must NOT connect the Smarthub DSL cable until you have set up your Plusnet log in credentials and the Smarthub tells you that it's trying to connect.

Moderator and Customer

Kel1980

I've done all the set ups but for the life in me I cant get it to save my username and password