Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@JSM15 

Yes. When you change over from BT all that you need to do Is disconnect, enter the Plusnet details, save if you have the option and reconnect.

Note that apart from not having the option to split the bands the equivalent Plusnet Hub Two has the same wireless performance, gives you the option of being able to set your own choice of DNS resolvers and self configures. You can also change the wireless SSID and password to be the same as your Smarthub so that you can seamlessly swap between the two.

Edit

In answer to part 2 of your question, your username is the same as the one that you choose when you set up the account with @plusdsl.net added, such as fredblogs@plusdsl.net and your password is your chosen account password.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ben1
Grafter

I am having problems with my connection. I have a BT Hub 6 which is displaying orange solid orange light and so I’m getting no Internet connection through it. I have returned to Plusnet Hub1 temporarily. What should I do initially?

The landline phone displayed that there were technical issues (I can’t recall exactly what now) with the phone line last night but that didn’t last, and it’s fine now.

Many thanks.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Ben1 

Could the Hub6 have done a reset and reverted to it's default credentials ie non PlueNet ones.

Brian

Ben1
Grafter

Am I right in thinking that I need to reconnect the Hub6 and check the details at 192.168.1.254? Thanks.

Baldrick1

@Ben1 

Yes, if it’s reverted to the default BT log in details you must remove the DSL lead or drop the connection whilst you reset them to the Plusnet account details.

Moderator and Customer

kitty1

Hi Baldrick1

I am sure you have gone through this lots but I cant find a definitive solution.  I have just changed back to plusnet from BT. To remove the hassle it would be handy just to point my existing router ( BT smart hub 2 ) ( says hub 6 in network id) to the new plusnet service. Its a DSL not fibre.

I dont seem to be able to find a way of editing the dsl address. I have seen references to turning smart setup off, however there does not seem to be an option for this.

Hope you can shed some light on this.

Thanks

kitty1

Hi can anyone help re using my existing smart hub 2 on new plusnet

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Ignore - misread the original request.

John
Baldrick1

@kitty1 

You must disconnect from the Internet befor changing the log in details. The easiest option is to remove the DSL cable. Go to the Advanced Settings page. 

Select ‘Broadband’ then select ‘Edit Broadband Username’. Insert the username you use to access your Plusnet account followed by @plusdsl.net

Enter the Password you use to access your Plusnet account.

Reconnect the DSL cable.

The full instructions are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer

kitty1

Many thanks. So by doing the disconnect, this then allows an edit option on the dsl address ?

Baldrick1

@kitty1 

Yes. It's not an edit option, it just allows you to change these settings.

If there is a DSL connection, the default BT settings connects the hub to the BT servers. If you try to enter your Plusnet credentials when connected to BT it detects that it is not a BT account and kicks it out.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

Thanks again for your instructions. I went through them but I am back to square one again with the solid orange light so I suspect that I didn’t actually change anything. Does this sound likely to you? And where might I have gone wrong?

Baldrick1

@Ben1 

If you log in to the hub it should show the username and password as the Plusnet ones, if they have reverted to BT's then it has not saved them? Depending on the firmware some have a save field. others have not. If there is no save field try just selecting a different page in the advanced settings, go back and see if that triggered it to save.

The other thing to look for is the Connect tab on this page. Is the option to connect showing? If so select it. Does it come up with the message 'connecting', if so plug the DSL cable in whilst it is showing connecting.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

It looks like I was a bit hasty in my actions, I will try again this evening!

Moderators Note

Duplicate post removed 

Ben1
Grafter

Success! Many thanks again. It definitely pays to read every letter of those instructions…

Now, I only need to change the name of the router.