Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

I would try resetting to factory settings both ways from the BT Hub settings and also using pin at the back, holding long enough over 30seconds until the first coloured light appears on the BT Hub

ensure that you have removed the dsl cable before  hard reset . (See Baldricks post just above yours.) and only plug it in after you have entered youruserame@plusdsl.net  with your password.

Sometimes Hubs do go faulty however.

Chris0
Hooked

OK thanks.  I was resetting using the pin in the back as advised in the first post.  I just tried through the BT Hub settings and it seems to be working (for now).  Will keep an eye on it.  Another quirk to be aware of.  

securityguru

Just an update to say that your post still holds true now in September 2021 and thanks a lot for the detailed information which really helped me out!  

Like others I was experiencing persistent connection issues with 5 Ghz wireless on the Plusnet Hub One router and having spoken with Plusnet support gave up after trying several times (unsuccessfully) to get them to handle the issue.  I was told that Plusnet are in the process of trialling a new wireless router but with no end in sight i took the plunge and purchased a BT Business Smarthub 6 and never looked back.  

The wireless connection (both 2.4/5 Ghz) on the BT Smarthub is rock solid and allows me to connect both old and new devices throughout the property with no issues - the issue was never with Plusnet Broadband which from my experience is fine but the Plusnet router (specifically Hub One) is dreadful and should be replaced as soon as possible.  

Anyhow, following your instructions it was super easy to get my BT Smarthub up and running on my Plusnet Broadband and happy to say the solution is working well.

ganganvince
Dabbler

Seen plenty on ebay type A are they the correct ones?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@ganganvince 

Quoting from here, all Smarthubs can be used, so Yes.   https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

THEPGTOP

Hi Baldrick1 I have followed your hh6 setup guide to the wire including not plugging in the dsl cable till instructed, turning of smart setup, I have altered my plusnet login to not have any special characters .I have entered the broadband username and password getting them to save . Waited a while then re enterd the dls cable and clicked connect .it tries to connect then the hub light flashes orange and will not connect .I have the 084319+ home hub 6 and have switched from the plusnet hub one with I belive is fttc.any information will be greatly appreciated.
Tags (1)
Baldrick1

@THEPGTOP 

Once you have entered your Plusnet credentials plug the DSL cable in straight away whilst it shows ‘connecting’. Did the Plusnet credentials save or have they gone back to default? Did you remember to add @plusdsl.net to your username? Have you tried another factory reset? Have you checked that your username and password are correct by using them to log into your Plusnet account.

Moderator and Customer

THEPGTOP

Hi Thanks for your prompt reply I have done everything within your reply ,multiple factory resets.all the credentials are correct for logging to plusnet and saved also plugged the dsl in whilst saying connecting . I've been trying the same process over and over for about 3 day to no avail the router just flashes orange when the dsl cable gets plugged in .
Baldrick1

@THEPGTOP 

Using the same leads have you checked that you can get access using your Plusnet hub?

Moderator and Customer

THEPGTOP

Yes the same leads give full access through plusnet hub.
monsieurijh

I had issue last week. Same orange light after several reboots across 3 days. Messaged plusnet fault number, and it turned out to be a local issue.that was then resolved 24 hours after finding that out!
Baldrick1

@monsieurijh 

That doesn't wash if the connection is good when the Plusnet hub is fitted, hence my previous question, which also eliminated a cable problem.

@THEPGTOP 

I must confess to be clear out of ideas. All I can think is either it's a typo in the Plusnet credentials that you have entered or that you have unfortunately got a faulty Smarthub.

Moderator and Customer

ganganvince
Dabbler

My issue is the plusnet hub loses connection (red light) about once a day only been in 3 weeks used same wiring as my old Vodafone one they sent an engineer out who has confirmed good supply to property reset router to factory settings and left saying see you in a week or so these routers are [-Censored-]. Hence why I am looking to replace router rather than play that game.
Baldrick1

@ganganvince 

You can't believe everything that Openreach technicians tell you.

If you think about it there are probably 100s of thousands of Hub Ones in daily use. If you add on to that the fact that the Hub One is an adaption of the old BT Home Hub 5A then just imagine the outcry if these all needed resetting by an 'engineer' every week. The Smarthubs are far better than the Hub One but there are still many, many, customers that have no problems with their Hub One.

If it's a wireless problem that you have then the Smarthub might cure it. If you want better WiFi, the Smarthub will provide it. If your Hub One makes a noise, then a Smarthub is silent.

If the network connection to your property is dropping out or there's a problem at the Plusnet end of your connection then a different hub will not make a jot of difference.

Moderator and Customer

ganganvince
Dabbler

It was a plusnet engineer not open reach the line has been in the property for 10 years in that time we have had bt, sky, talktalk and Vodafone and the connection hasn't dropped once on the day we switched to plusnet dropped out twice and once a day since then nothing has changed other than the supplier and router which is what the engineer believes is the issue but has to go through the reset and complain routine before he can exchange.