cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

dplusr
Dabbler

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Thanks - I've seen various comments, including that the DNS options have been removed in some more recent firmware versions. But I'll look again. I was focused on making sure I got the one with four ports, and eBay sellers don't always make clear exactly what they have!

But the comment stands. What's the fixation with disabling changes to DNS servers?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@dplusr 

I use a Business Smarthub with the latest firmware and am using OpenDNS. Out of interest I use a FTTP model with only 3 LAN sockets. If I have a network problem I can simply use my unlocked Huawei HG612  in place of the inbuilt modem so that I can run DSL stats etc. The firmware is the same as used in the FTTC version. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-FTTP-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-FTTC-Service/m-p/166643... for my early testing. The Business ones work exactly the same way as well as giving you the extra functionality.

I can only assume that the BT policy (the Hub One is a tweeked BT Home Hub 5A) is to make their hubs as idiot proof as possible by removing as many functions as they can. This helps when trying to support customers whose twitchy fingers are incompatible with their depth of knowledge.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Some valid points there but as these routers are "free" with the service you do (IMHO) get more than you pay for!

I have always used Netgear routers with ADSL, not necessarily the latest model, but the price of a VDSL one makes me think that ISP products are not actually that bad. I may be missing the point here but for many advanced technology is like buying a  Ferrari when a Ford will do the job perfectly well!

Goes to eBay Search checking specifications carefully..........   😕

JeremyD

Thanks. Followed your instructions and all working perfectly.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@TeeGee wrote:

Goes to eBay Search checking specifications carefully..........   😕

Replying to my own post (!) I looked on Ebay last night at a HH6.  The general opinion is that they are better than the Hub One so I thought I might dip my toe in the water.

There were three ending that evening. One got no bids at £11, I got one for £9 and the next went for £6.50.  All looked reasonable sellers (check their other items!) of things that they no longer needed.

It is always handy to have  a spare and something new to play with. Will be interested to see what the practical differences are.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Interestingly, you would think that with all the troubles Plusnet have with their supplied  Router that they would change it for a Better version.

EE  supply their customers with a  BT Smart Hub2  "ee" Branded Version. 

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

@LifeonMars 

We all think that too but the issue is that PN are the "cheap" brand in the BT group and cannot be seen to offer the same level of product!  PN prices are however similar to non BT suppliers. This is a management and marketing decision and I have every confidence in  staff at lesser levels keeping the show on the road.

VentaBelgarum

Hi All,

Although I'm new to the forum, I am a long-standing (and generally pretty satisfied) PlusNet customer. Sadly, I haven't been able to contribute anything to the forum since my expertise in these matters is severely limited, but I'm an avid reader of the threads and immensely thankful for the collective wisdom shared by those who do post.

Like many of you here, I'be become frustrated with the capricious PlusNet Hub One. Rather than wait for the fix, which has been a VERY long time coming, I resorted to buying a BT Smart Hub 2 which has brought a marked improvement in the stability of my wifi connection.

The point of this post is just to record my grateful thanks to Baldrick and LifeonMars among others, without whose help I probably would never have managed to install the BT router. In particular Stage 8 of Baldrick's step-by-step guide which rescued me in the absence of a "Save" box on the BT Hub Manager!

In passing, a big shout out to BobPullen too for his valiant efforts to update the firmware on PlusNet customers' routers. Shouldn't be necessary of course for Bob to have to do this (and in his own time) but that's another story. 

rjshearer

Hi I have a BT Business Smarthub 6 and have had no issues for 2 years, until yesterday.

Working from home, I stopped for lunch and the router light turned to solid orange.

Tried switching off etc and eventually phoned Plusnet, they were very patient and tried a few things, checked the line and factory reset etc but no joy. I resurrected my Plusnet Hub One and it worked straight away.

Has anyone experienced this with BT Smarthub 6 and found a solution? Or has it died a death and needs replaced.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

These things are really annoying. Never had a router problem but shows the necessity of keeping a spare.

You could try a factory reset with a pin in the back and follow @Baldrick1 setup intructions although I am sure you know the ropes. Stage 2 is log in to Ebayand buy another one. Cheap as chips nowadays!

Good luck!

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

On the BT Smart Hub, are the connection details  still showing correctly :-      yourusername@plusdsl.net  and password  correct

and Smart set up tab set to off.

rjshearer

I have reset and followed  Baldrick's set up. Blue light back and can connect laptop when wired but no internet wirelessly.

Is there something I have missed? 

All suggestions grateful to received.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@rjshearer 

Have you conneted your wireless devices to the new SSID? You can either reconnect all your devices or  change the Smarthub SSID (Network Name) and Wireless Password in Advanced/Wireless settings to be identical to those of your Plusnet Hub. This way you can seamlessly swap between the two. Note that the admin password will not change and it will revert to the original settings after a Factory Reset. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Paulkoumi
Dabbler

My PN hub1 is almost 2yrs old and is starting to develop faults such as slow WiFi or flashing orange then back to blue. I'm looking at replacing it with the BT hub 6. My question is do I have to inform plusnet I've got one or can I just plug it in and reconfigure it to the settings provided at the start of the thread?
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

You can use any router you wish that works with your connection, however plus net state that that they will only assist with  Router problems with their supplied router. obviously as their staff are trained on that particular device. How ever most customers have found most staff to be extremely helpful and will assist their customers  with their connected router. But it is wise to keep the supplied router for problem solving. 😜 Just plug it in and configure with yourusername@plusdsl.net and password and remember to switch off Smart setup and only connect the dsl cable when ready to connect  if going for the BT Smart Hubs