cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

jwsg
Rising Star

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

After a factory reset there's no need to change the admin password - just carry in using the one on the card

The instructions on the first post are important - keep the router unplugged from the BT socket after a factory reset so that you can enter the admin password and turn off smart setup. 

Smart setup does a passwordless setup for BT customers only - it only works for us with a Plusnet Hub One

---

If its the plusnet password youve messed up then Ive had trouble changing that from the BT router - I had to use a browser on a phone

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jwsg wrote:

In addition, the 'BT Wi-fi status' seems to be stuck on 'Active' even after a factory reset

I wonder if this is a 'feature' of the latest firmware and all those using a residential version of the Smarthub will end up with it? I guess that time will tell.

The next inevitable question will be 'does it matter'? Having done a bit more reading I gather that BT customers can lose up to 3Mbps on FTTC and 0.5Mbps on ADSL of their bandwidth with the proviso that the customer has priority. In other words if the customer can use the full bandwidth then the FON usage reduces to zero.

However, and I'm guessing now, I assume that the FON usage goes back through BT's servers. Therefore if a BT customer tried to hook onto one of 'our' Smarthubs it should not work. Only time will tell. If this becomes a widespread feature hopefully one of the followers of this topic will find some-one with a BT account who can try it.

Overall I suspect that whilst the router will transmit these SSIDs, in practice it will make no difference to the performance. At the moment all that we can do is wait and see.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Glad I’ve turned the WiFi off totally!
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
briston
Aspiring Pro

Firstly thanks for the instructions right at the beginning of this thread. I have been lucky enough to have been given a BT hub6.

Successfully connected to plusnet and changed all the IDs and passwords to those used by my hub1 so everything connects without knowing any difference.

The only strange thing is in the reporting section my phone is shown as being connected to the 5GHz stream which I know is wrong.

I have firmware version SG4B1000E020 and did see someone reporting that section to turn wireless off was not present. Mine is in 'wireless', 'Change settings' (at bottom of page) and there is a on/off slider. This is available for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz streams which I have split.
jwsg
Rising Star

No debate about turning normal WiFi on/off its the BT WiFi (see the bottom of Home->Status page) which does not have a toggle unless you are a BT customer. This used to be inactive when you follow the instructions on page 1 but since SG4B1000E020  seems to default Active

BT wifi Active could mean our router is acting as a BT Wi-fi hotspot for people to connect to - so you can see the concern 

briston
Aspiring Pro

@jwsg thanks for the clarification.

Now that I have finally been able to remove the hub1 that's the final variable from the problems.
Witter
Grafter

@Baldrick1 I have just moved house and took my bt hub with me to use and my broadband has just been activated but I can't connect,it's just flashing purple,do you know how to connect it to the Internet?
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/broadband-and-wi-fi/i-can-t-connect/what-do-the-ligh...

Flashing purple means Hub working but not connected to the internet.

It can take up to 12nt on stated day of connection to get connected

see page 1 on this thread

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

jwsg
Rising Star

It doesnt sound like the line (from the cabinet) is active or properly connected. 

Witter
Grafter

Do I have to do a factory reset if I move home or do I keep the settings as they are?
jwsg
Rising Star

If you're keeping your plusnet username and password I woulnt want to touch a working BT router if possible.

As a plusnet customer I would go back to the supplied  Plusnet Hub 1 and start from scratch with that, possibly with a factory reset and following the setup instructions - the plusnet router picks up your connection details and is a better option if you need plusnet support

Someone else may have more precise advise but if the router physically connects to a live FTTC cabinet port then I would expect a change to orange. Further progress to internet connectivity then depends on the plusnet side of things

Witter
Grafter

I don't have my plusnet router anymore since I bought the hub 6
jwsg
Rising Star

Ok - my advice is wait a period of time as another user suggested. If the new house never had fibre then I believe a OR engineer would need to connect the line to a FTTC port as well as plusnet doing their part.

If nothing happens to the router flashing LED when you plug in to the socket it just occurs there is no VDSL 'signal' from the cabinet.

'Connect to the internet' is a multi-step process and being connected to the cabinet is step 1

----

I would post in the Fibre section to get more help as its possibly not really a BT router issue

Witter
Grafter

The engineer has already been,got me to install a mk4 faceplate to replace the nte5,went for half an hour then said everything should be OK,don't I have to wait on a text from plusnet to say my broadband is activated before it will work!?
jwsg
Rising Star

I suggest you post in the general fibre section as fewer users read the BT router thread