cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Hub One as a modem only?

NickR
Hooked

Using Hub One as a modem only?

I'm planning to upgrade Hub One with a new router without a built-in modem.  Is my best plan to configure the Hub One as a modem only (and if so how?) or to use a new separate modem instead?   Thanks.

20 REPLIES 20
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Using Hub One as a modem only?

Use a separate modem, you can't configure the Hub 1 as modem only.

However there are other ways depending on what you are trying to achieve.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You can't configure the hub one as a modem only, you'd need a separate modem.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

As others have said, you can't because the Plusnet firmware doesn't support bridge mode.

Your options are:

Either to buy a combined VDSL modem router 

Buy a second hand HG612 Modem from a well known auction site, should cost £15-20 including P&P, you should also make sure it is a revision 3B as earlier version had issues with overheating.

Buy a Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL modem or similar model (about £80 new, may be able to get cheaper second hand).

Stick with the hub one.

NickR
Hooked

Many thanks for the quick replies.  I'll look into getting a separate modem then.  I've been led to believe that this is a better option than buying a replacement modem / router combination.  Would you agree?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

From my point of view no. Unless you can get meaningful information from it.

An advantage of the Hub 1 is the diagnostic information you can get from the Help Desk page, unless you get an unlocked Openreach modem all you will have done is get an extra box and so need another mains socket and gives you no information to help diagnose any issues you may have.

A decent combined device will give you better wi fi performance, and meaningful information to help diagnose any DSL issues you might get.

brookheather
Rising Star

I disagree with the above - I much prefer a separate modem and router - I can access all the required DSL stats on my Vigor 130 modem just by going to its IP address and I can change settings (requiring a reboot) on my Asus router without upsetting DLM as the modem stays connected.

BT FTTP 500 + pfSense + Uniquiti Unifi 6 Pro
NickR
Hooked

Hmm, thanks for the contradictory opinions!  The more you research this sort of thing the more complicated it gets and the less easy it is to come to a conclusion.  I've now become aware of Mesh systems such as Google Wifi - worth considering?

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@NickR It is not really contradictory, @brookheather and I both agree that getting useful information about what is going on with your line is important and very useful. Space is more important to me, hence a one box solution, but being able to get information about the line is invaluable.

Alas many people overlook that side of internet connections and just try for improved Wi-Fi - but these days so many home devices need the internet, optimising  your home often demands multiple solutions.

For example, my master socket is in the kitchen, and so I have created a small comms cabinet to hide away the router and NAS which I want to be ethernet connected. From there I have used powerline plugs to give ethernet connectivity to the lounge and to a small switch which then connects the TV/streaming player/Blu Ray, and then Wi-Fi for my laptop/phone/tablet.

beetnik
Grafter

It's a little unclear to me what you're trying to achieve but you could add a mesh system in AP mode leaving the Hub One with WiFi turned off. That way you get the benefit of the mesh and you're still connected using Plusnet's kit which is useful if you need support.

NickR
Hooked

@beetnik wrote:

It's a little unclear to me what you're trying to achieve

I think I'm guilty of 'just trying to improve wi-fi' as Mustrum says, but sadly without the technical knowledge that others clearly have.  I'm now a bit confused, because I understood from earlier replies that I couldn't use the Hub One as a modem only because it doesn't support bridge mode, but doesn't turning off wi-fi come to the same thing?  I assume this is done by disabling the wireless network in Advanced Settings?  Ignoring mesh for a moment, could I do this and then connect a new router (without modem) to achieve an improved wi-fi experience?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Quote fixed.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

In simple terms if you could (which you can't) use the Hub One in bridge mode you would connect the Hub One to the router via the red WAN socket and enter your Plusnet sign on details into the router, not the Hub One. 

The alternative is to leave the Hub One as it is except fot turning off the wifi. You then set up your router (or mesh devices) in Access Mode, rather than router mode and connect it to one of the yellow Hub One LAN sockets. If you read the manual for your preferred second device you should find the settings.

I hear the comments about how useful it is to be able to check WAN statistics at the modem but it's not something you need to do unless you are having problems. I keep an unlocked Huawei 612 plus an Asus router configured as an access point in case I need to look at stats. For everyday I use a BT Smarthub 6, which I bought off Ebay for less than £20 and find that the wifi performance is more than adequate.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

beetnik
Grafter

In a word, yes; this is the setup I have.

Plusnet Hub One with WiFi turned off. Netgear Orbi Router + one satellite in AP mode. Humax YouView+ box hard wired to the Plusnet Hub One.

I get 60+Mb/s consistently throughout a good sized, old, 4 bed detached house with engineering brick walls, something the Plusnet Hub One Wifi is distinctly incapable of! Same in the garden (and guest network for next door when their line was faulty).

I've kept the Hub One as part of the setup as I've not found a way to route IPTV directly through it which gives acceptable results with the Plusnet Humax box.

I can thoroughly recommend the Orbi kit - it's excellent. £40 cheaper than anywhere else at Costco if you have membership.

NickR
Hooked

Many thanks to everyone for the help.  In case anyone is interested, I've ended up with a Netgear Nighthawk router connected to the Hub One - wi-fi switched off on this.  I haven't done anything about Access Point mode (not sure why / if I need this?), but it all seems to be working fine - much improved speed and range.