cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

Midcreek

Re: Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

I have a similar experience.

When I joined Plusnet in January last year I set up with their router (same as BT's Smarthub2) but immediately went back to my BT Homehub6 because it had 4 ethernet ports and split 2.4 and 5GHz bands.  A couple of weeks ago I lost internet connection and nothing would regain it, including a factory reset on the Hub6 and reload from my back-up configuration..  A day or so after reporting it an Outreach engineer arrived and diagnosed a problem in the local cabinet.  Once he'd fixed that (lost synchronisation, he said) we discovered that the Hub6 would still not work so I dug out my Plusnet router (which was still configured for my network) and it worked instantly. - confirming that the Homehub6 had a problem of some sort.

Here's the unexpected effect though - the BT hub had only ever given me 55Mbits download speed (which is all I was promised) but the Plusnet router clocks 64Mbits with a shorter ping time.  My network only needs 3 Ethernet connections these days, rather than 4, and I don't now need separate 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the router itself, so despite the Plusnet router' not putting out a particularly strong wifi signal I'll keep it.  My three access points (two BT Hub5s and a BT Hub3) give me the coverage I need throughout the house.

MShea161255

Hi there, just a quick question regarding using my BT Smart Hub 2 with Plusnet.

The process is plug in the DSL cable in when instructed. Then selecting Disconnect in the Advanced/Broadband settings in the Admin section of the Hub. Change the Plusnet Username (followed by @plusdsl.net) and Password, then selecting Connect. Correct?

The question I have is the Plusnet have introduced special characters in the password and there you suggest not doing this. There is no option around this. Will special characters now work? Formware level?

Thanks Mike

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@MShea161255 

I have no idea, I suggest that you try it and see if it works. In the past Plusnet suggested a special character but still it worked if you ignored this. Is this no longer the case?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MShea161255

Baldrick1, Plusnet hub turn up. I did not use as suggested in previous post. BT Boardband stop, unplugged the DSL cable. Turn BT Smart Hub off. Received the Plusnet email to say that the Boardband was up and running. Turned Hub back on. Logged onto the BT Smart Hub (Admin password) and changed the user and password to that of the Plusnet username and password. Change Plusnet password as it had to have special charcters so I used a # which was ok in the Plusnet User name password) and Smart Hub. Also put @plusdsl.net ad end of User name on Hub using the PLusnet user name. plugged in DSL name and owrked straight away.

dannin

Hi, we had a bit of an unfortunate water spillage that killed our plusnet router so decided to buy a smarthub hoping that this would allow us to use the internet. However I have tried everything and followed each step over and over again but do not get anything other than orange light from the smarthub. I click connect and pink bar with connecting appears and then disappears without doing anything. Is there anything I can try?

I have a sinking suspicion that we have more of an issue than just the router because some water may have got into the mastersocket as well and I am wondering whether this has become corroded/fried? How likely is this to be the issue? Who would I contact to look at this? Openreach direct or Plusnet?

We have been renovating our place and these boxes were just sat together on the floor next to a shelf... potentially a frustrating and expensive lesson!
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@dannin - Hiya, I’m seeing at my side that the password the router is connecting with isn’t right as lately as 1 hour ago so everything looks fine just a case of correcting the password in the router. You can reset it here if you need to @ https://www.plus.net/member-centre/forgot-password/ . It's the same one as the account password by the way.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
dannin

That's strange, I reset the password as the previous password had a lot of alphanumeric characters in it.

The new password I saved into a password manager and checked a few times but obviously not enough, or the password manager did something strange.

Will try again tonight, thanks a lot for looking!
James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@dannin -  No worries the other details like username are all good for the password issue to flag to me so I'm sure it's just that.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
Benjkmn

Hi, I have followed all steps and have the BT Smart Hub running with the disks - however, I have noticed that my upload speed is being capped at 50mbps whereas with the Plusnet Router, my upload was 100+mbps
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 404

@Benjkmn which version of the Smart Hub is it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Benjkmn

It’s the BT Smarthub 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Should be fine. Is the upload ok if you use a wired connection to the Hub ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Benjkmn

Hey, no this is using wireless… it seems to be a BT Router Cap as all other routers (3rd party and plus net) have over 100+mbps upload… I called up as I’ve read on another forum that this just needs a profile re-sending through to the connected BT router - but the person on the phone said that they have no idea what to do with it
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

AFAIK there's nothing that Plusnet can do to configure a BT router!.

If the wireless is using the 2.4ghz channel then 50Mb is about all you can expect.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Benjkmn if you private message me your Smarthub 2 serial number then I'll see if there's anything I can do to help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵