Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

@Martin236 Why not get an RJ45 crimping tool (not expensive) and put some new connectors on the ends, saves a lot of hassle if the cable run is under the floor and difficult to get at.

mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

Just set up a new BT Smart Hub 2, intended to be used as a spare/test device for when this rather dodgy line on mine next plays up. Seems to be syncing, downloading & uploading at much the same speed as my BT Hub 6. Baldrick's great setup guide suggests the firmware may update shortly after setup, the version on the router appears to be from 2019 but no updates yet and it's been around an hour. 

Nothing I can about that right, just wait it out and it should happen in it's own time? Reboot perhaps, though with 27ish down and 5.5ish up I don't like rebooting too often in case the line slows down any more!

Thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@mrtullyhubbert 

All that you can do is wait it out for a firmware update. If you want to reboot it then I would only try it once a day to make sure you don’t trigger DLM action.

The wireless performance of the original Smarthub and the Smarthub 2 is similar except that you can’t separate the bands on the later Smarthub 2. I believe that this change is associated with the later model being able to work with additional mesh satellite discs.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

Thanks Baldrick1, it updated the firmware at 03:20 this morning and my system uptime is now 2hr30m from then. I'll let it run a few days to ensure all is well and then replace with the Hub 6. (I like to have a spare, I've had 2 Hub 6's and a business Hub 6 go faulty on me over a few years)

I'll look into separating bands on the Hub 6 as I haven't done it previously and I'm not sure what that's about. I live rural and on my own so maybe that's why I don't have wireless issues and haven't needed to do it?  Thanks again.

Baldrick1

@mrtullyhubbert 

If everything is working over wireless then there is no need to split the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. Some older devices either won’t connect or flip flop between the two, resulting in poor speed when they are synchronised. It is nothing to do with neighbours transmissions.

Moderator and Customer

mrtullyhubbert
Grafter

Smart Hub 2 did update to version v0.17.01.12312-BT, however the latest version which has been around since 2020 appears to be V0.24.04.11017-BT, looks like I'll have to wait some more time for more updates before swopping out my routers. 

simoncarbon

My SmartHub 2 updated to v35 firmware on 18th August and hasn't been able to connect since. I've done a hard reset and re-enetered correct username/password but it still won't connect and the light stays orange. I've had to switch back to my Plusnet Router for the time being...

Anyone else had this issue? 

Baldrick1

@simoncarbon 

Have you checked that it retained your username (followed by @plusdsl.net) and password? If not, did you remember to unplug the DSL cable before entering them?

Moderator and Customer

simoncarbon

Yes, it had retained my username and password. Tried connecting again and no good. So I did hard reset and then entered details again without DSL cable plugged in whilst entering them. Still didn't connect. As it has coincided with a firmware update happening, is there any way to roll back to a pre v.35 firmware? 

Baldrick1

@simoncarbon wrote:

..., is there any way to roll back to a pre v.35 firmware? 

Not as far as I'm aware.

There are no other reports of them failing so I have to ask:

Have you checked that you have the correct Username and Password by using them to log in to your Plusnet account?

Did you add @plusdsl.net to your username without accidentally inserting any spaces?

Moderator and Customer

simoncarbon

Right, I've sorted it out now. I had to reset my password to access my account on the website and had done a 'restore' from saved backup for the router settings so it had pushed an old password back in. Thanks for your help. 

Jamie4

Has anyone resolved the issue with access control setting on the BT Smart hub 2?

I've just moved from BT and had a smart hub 2 with complete wifi.

Thanks to this guide I've got the BT hub set up and working. My issue is that I used to have access control on the kids devices to prevent internet access after 8pm. I can no longer access these settings, accessed via an app that I need to log in to.

I've plugged in the plusnet smart hub 2 which have these settings on the router page, but the complete wifi won't work with the disk.

Any advice on either finding access control on the bt hub or getting plusnet hub to work? Or any advice on mesh wifi systems to use. Nothing too expensive really. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You'll not get Complete Wi-Fi working with the Plusnet hub and I'm not convinced there's a way to manipulate the access controls on the BT variant without access to the app either.

Will leave it to others to suggest mesh solutions.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tom10
Hooked

Hi Guys.

Hopefully a simple solution to this. I have had to alter my password on my account and I now need to update the password on the BT Business Hub 6 I am using. I have logged on and attempted to alter it but cannot see how to "Save" the new password. I just have a yellow box telling me I need to save the changes but How?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Tom10  Just a quick check, you have to remove the DSL cable, i.e. disconnect the broadband before entering the new password, then the following should apply from the first post in this thread.....

1. After the username and password is set there may no longer be a ‘Save’ option. However, connecting the DSL cable and if necessary, selecting ‘Connect’ results in the Plusnet settings being retained.