Did you mean: 

Using 2nd Router as a Guest Network

FIXED
smith101
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Using 2nd Router as a Guest Network

Hi

After reading a few found posts, mostly old ones now, I am still not clear on how to go about this.

I have a Hub 2 connected full fibre.

I believe what I have read that the Hub 2 does not support guest networking, I may have picked this up wrong.

What I want to know -

1. Does the Hub 2 support guest networking and if yes, how to set up?

2. I have an old Hub 1, can this be used with the Hub 2 to set up a guest network and how?

3. Do I need to buy another router that supports guest networking with encryption, that can be connected to the Hub 2?

4. Or...do I need to replace Hub 2 with a router that supports guest networking?

Any help, direction or recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance. 😊

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Using 2nd Router as a Guest Network

@smith101 Unless I am VERY mistaken, option 4 in your list is the only one.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@smith101 you can setup the Hub 1 as a Wireless access point with a different Network name and password to that of the Hub 2 , instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138...

However, whilst that will allow 'guests' to connect without them having your main network password, it doesnt isolate them from the rest of your network as true 'guest' access would. They will still be able to 'see' other devices on your network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smith101
Hooked

Thank you John, for your reply.

Reading more posts on this subject, you may be correct.

Steve 

smith101
Hooked

@MisterW  Thank you for the reply.

I have found another post that might work https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2nd-Hub1-as-Guest-network-LAN-to-WAN-quot-no-internet-connec... you had some involvement in it. It dates back to 2017. The OP in this post eventually bought an ASUS RT-AC51U and seems to have connected it and used it as a guest network. That router is still available new today...any thoughts? 

Now, as it is 2024 and 7 years later, are there any other methods? Would that OP,s set up work with the Plusnet Hub2 router I have? Thank you in advance.

Steve

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@smith101 to explain:-

a router that supports true guest networks allocates a different IP subnet to the guest network e.g 192.168.2.x where the main network is 192.168.1.x. This means that any device connected to the guest network can't see or access devices on the main network.

When using a 'spare' router to provide an additional wireless network, there are two ways to connect to the primary router

1) LAN port to LAN port - this means the 2nd router uses the same subnet and thus the guest and main network are not separated

2) WAN port (on the 2nd router) to LAN port - the 2nd routers WAN connection is set to DHCP and its LAN subnet is made different to the main network. This gives reasonable (but not complete) separation between the guest and main networks.

In order to be used in configuration 2 , the 2nd router must be able to configure its WAN connection as DHCP. The problem with any of the Plusnet supplied Hubs is that this is not possible.

Having said that, most third party routers are able to be configured this way, so almost any non-ISP supplied router will work.

In fact If you are not needing high preformance wireless ,  I have one or two old routers that would work but they are only N300 2.4ghz wifi. If you are anywhere near NG10 and can collect, you're welcome to one!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

smith101
Hooked

Fix

@MisterW Thank you for the reply.

Yes, just as I thought. I will purchase a third party router that can have its WAN configurable. I'm happy with my Hub2 performance and range. Just going to research routers with with this option, performance, range and security protocols and use this for guest network.

Thank you for the offer of the N300, but I am much much further north than NG10 😊 

Thanks for your help @MisterW much appreciated.