Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use an existing router

FIXED
newbie5
Dabbler

Re: Use an existing router

Although new router has not yet arrived found a TG582n which I think is being replaced by the new Hub Zero.

Using a laptop have got into settings. I’m guessing the config & menu will be very similar if not the same for the new one.

Can someone confirm I will just need to edit dhcp pools (lan_private) and amend from 1.64 to 0.64 & end 1.252 to 0.252

I can also change loop and internet - not sure what that means.

Not bother with virtual.

Also server & gateway from 1.254 to 0.254  . Not sure why starting from 64 thought it would have been say 1.1 ?
Assume don’t need todo  the same for loop & internet and not sure if that is relevant.

It will allow me to change IP addresses see screen shot - do I need to edit ? Personally would not think to change 10.0.0.138/24

Intend to leave ipv6 alone.

newbie5
Dabbler

extra jpg

newbie5
Dabbler

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 402

You'll need to change all of the 192.168.1.x to 192.168.0.x

i.e In the IP addresses section, and the DHCP VIRT and DHCP private pools

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OldRaft
Grafter

Very difficult to make out the jpg.   Maybe take a screen print not a photo?

Windows key + Shift + S may work for a screen print in Windows 10, otherwise use the print screen key with Alt or Ctrl, then try pasting into Paint and then saving.   There used to be a crop utility in Accessories too.

IP addresses,  back to basics...

Routers use a list of IP address know as a "Class C Subnet"   as noted before this has valid address from

X.Y.Z.1   to X.Y.Z.254

The "Z" number 1 through 254   is the same for all addresses in s specific subnet.

See the post just arrived  so you will have   192.168.1.1  to 192.168.1.254   254 possible addresses available.

OR  say   192.168.0.1   to 192.168.0.254 

(note that when you change this in the config you will lose your connection to the router as you for example will have changed it from say  A. 192.168.1.254   to   B192.168.0.254   i.e. you will have to connect again using the address you changed it to  =  B. )  Depending on how your laptop is configured you will have to change it's address from  X.Y.1.Z    to X.Y.0.Z  address it is using  DHCP and just gets its address from the router. (In this case if you know how to check the address the laptop has you will see it is the first address in the DHCP range  i.e.   192.168.0.64

Your DHCP range will then have same format  X.Y.0.Z    The DHCP range can be anything you like, but don't include the router address (192.168.0.254) or a range of addresses you want for static IP addresses.

So  yes

"Gateway"  = the router itself = "default gateway" in Windows config = 192.168.0.254 

(you would then login to  192.168.0.254

DHCP   192.168.0.64   to  192.168.0.253   (i.e. DON'T use  192.168.0.254 as that is the router.) 

This would mean the fixed (static) addresses available would be 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.63.

PS  just think of the range of IP addresses as say house numbers.

Start at  192.168.0.1  all the way through to 192.168.0.253     

===================

What is the 10.0.0.138/24 reference? 

If you are using 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.253  then that is THE range you are using. I or others may have mentioned 10. addresses   but you don't need these anywhere if you are using 192.  addresses. (I don't see any on the .jpg?) 

Unless required to,  don't add the   /24 or whatever any where, your router may not understand this notation. Check with the user manual for the router.

You should not normally need to do any IPV6 config.  

newbie5
Dabbler

Thanks, touch wood all seems to work. i.e allows me to connect via dhcp on laptop (cable)

and wireless connect to an ipad.

all using 0

Just had txt to say new router on it’s way

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

TBH I'm not sure the Hub zero, assuming that's whats being sent, is going to be any better than the TG582.

AFAIK both are only single band wifi and 100Mb ethernet ports...

Although apparently it may be faster and more energy efficient according to this https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/isp-plusnet-launch-faster-hub-zero-2704n-broadband-rou...

That link also mentions the 'expert_user.html' functionality should you want to change the IP range on the Hub zero.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

OldRaft
Grafter

Single band (2.4 GHz isn't the end of the world 🙂  )   there are so many factors affecting wireless that can be fixed to give reasonable performance.

Have a look at slow wireless performance on the web.   Do a speed test on a wired device, if you get half of that on a wireless device when it is the ONLY wireless device connected then you are doing fine. Multiple wireless devices connected run no faster than the slowest device so if you have an old device it's slowing everything down,  plants are a killer in front of the router (water in the leaves) devices on the same channel in nearby house are a problem too (get a scanning prog to check) , most 2.4 GHz channels overlap too which does not help etc. etc................ read up on it. 

100 MHz Ethernet is fine as your Internet connection is say  30 Mbps  (that's BITS not Bytes = 3 to 4 MBytes / sec !  so you local network is still a LOT faster than the Internet connection.  If you are moving big files around between devices then maybe you need Ghz.

Expert user screen gives many more things you can change, pick the option to save your config to a file on your PC  FIRST then you can restore things quickly, if you break it.    Just restoring factory defaults will get you the original IP settings etc. so some work to reconfigure if you do this. 

newbie5
Dabbler

I may start using the 582. If I swap over it would be to get a Gigabit speed on one of the ports thinking
that the old one runs 100mb. However, bit confused as the link says both only run at lower speed.

Your comments on 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-Gigabit-Ethernet/td-p/1652771

suggest new one could go to gigabit, so perhaps if I connect my gigabit switch do you think connected device(s) in particular 
a nas drive would go to faster speed ? or perhaps just plug in the nas drive to the new router. 

OldRaft
Grafter

The 582n spec says 4 ports all at 100 Mbit.

Much as Gbit is better you have to consider what you are transferring as the devices you are using quite simply can't transfer at that rate anyway. Just cos a device  PC NAS etc.  has a Gigabit port  it does not in any way imply that the device can transfer at that rate, just like all the magic new routers have impossibly attainable (theoretical) speeds a hundred times faster than the Internet connection.

But good to check your Ethernet cables are at least Cat 5, Cat 5e being better.

Cat 5  "....performance of up to 100 MHz and is suitable for most varieties of Ethernet over twisted pair up to 1000 BASE-T. " 

Cat 5e should be better at reducing the effect of interference. 

The Billion 8800NL R2 has one port which works at Gigabit speed. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@newbie5 

The Hub One does have gigabit ports, but that router is normally only supplied with a Fibre product.

AIUI you have ordered the basic Broadband(ADSL) product , is that correct ?

If that's the case then it's normal for PlusNet to supply the Hub zero, which does not have gigabit ports

newbie5
Dabbler

Last year it was taking ages to backup
and connect to make amendments hence bought 1gb switch. Old sky router used 100mb port. Currently using nowtv router (2 ports) , but 1gb speed. Massive improvement on both counts so in theory worth the effort and it would seem to confirm it’s moving data at a faster speed.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@newbie5 As long as the device doing the backup and the NAS are both connected directly to the switch then you will get Gb data transfer between them. If any device is connected directly to the router then speed between that device and others will be limited to 100Mb with either the TG582 or the Hub zero.

All devices, irrespective of where they're connected will be limited to 100Mb connection to the internet (by the router) but that's not a real problem because your actual internet connection will be MUCh less than that!

newbie5
Dabbler

Sorry, thought I was getting a hub one even though it is ADSL Have been doing loads of searches and with the various
results together with plusnet own website, put 2 & 2 together and came up with 5.

However as in your last post should be no problem.

newbie5
Dabbler

Hub Zero arrived this morning. Good job the link mentioned expert user as I would be in the dark.

Changed ip to 0. and created fixed ip’s Going back to the original menus would appear to update the tabs with 
port forwarding.

Have set up in anticipation although I can’t fully set up because devices won’t  kick in till my fixed ip’s are connected.

Have the technicolour as a spare and will see how good or bad it works.

Thanks for the help.