Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

hursty
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

I have got a  home hub 6, however, i cant seem to access the settings where you enter the plusnet username etc

There is no settings tab

Can someone put some pictures up, or give a more detailed instruction. Its doing my head in!

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I think you may have to switch off the smart setup first http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
hursty
Dabbler

Already tried that mate

hursty
Dabbler

how did you manage to change the username settings in the home hub 6?

i cant find the section where it allows you to change the settings and connect

pnetter1

Hi, thanks for great tip.

I've just requested switch from BT to plusnet, ADSL, to be completed on 25th October.

I have Homehub 4 and wish to continue using that.

On the 25th, after the broadband services are switched to plusnet, will I be able to change the homehub settings via the method described, or does this need to be done beforehand?

I'm concerned that I'll attempt it, but the router won't work allow me to access the internet at all to amend settings as my line will no longer be connected with BT...

Thanks for any advice...

Jwhataylor
Dabbler

I got a HH6 the other day and have set it up to my Plusnet account. You have to login to the router and go to the advanced settings, there you can change the broadband username and password. To be fair I have not connected it to my ADSL line yet, but I have set it all up offline beforehand.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

expresscarpark
Hooked

I have a BT Business Hub 3. Connected it via adsl line, went to advanced settings and changed the broadband userid and password. Everything worked fine for a couple of days. Then the broadband went down and when I checked the router, the userid had reverted to my BT old userid. I changed that back to my plusnet userid and all is well but not sure why the router reverted back to the BT userid after 2 days running.

Anybody else encountered this?

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The BT Business Hub 3 is the same physical hardware as the Home Hub 3, but with different firmware installed. Is it possible you factory reset it? I would keep an eye on it, but it should work fine.

SpendLessTime
Hero

The BT Business Hub 3 maybe still linked to the old BT account. So when it rebooted it retrieved all the information from BT via TR069.

expresscarpark
Hooked

It went down while I was away so not sure how it can factory reset itself. Is there any way I can tell?

Can you please explain what you mean by it still being linked to my old BT account? If so, how can I unlink it? Yesterday I rebooted the device after changing the userid and password again and it was fine. The plusnet userid and password was still there.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@expresscarpark

When an ISP sends out a router, it will normally link the serial number of the router to your account username and password. Then when you plug the device in, it will ask via the TR-069 mechanism for all your details including username/password by sending the serial number to the ISP's servers. (The ISPs' call this various things like smart install , smart setup etc)

The router log file will say if the device used TR-069 assuming it goes back to the time of that reboot. You  may not be able to see that far back now.

Some routers have a setting to block TR-069, not sure if the HH3 business model does.  Otherwise it will need BT to unlink the router from your old BT account.

PNet4um
Grafter

I have spent nearly half an hour trying to find a thread that matches what I hope to do when I switch on Tuesday 24th, that is to:

Use the Plusnet Hub for connecting to their network. Use the router from my last ISP (BT) as a wired range extender as it is a HH5 and I am *hoping* that the device can be configured to connect as if was connected to an O/R modem and *IDEALLY* keep my prior setting.

I am sure there must be a thread that is at the v.least relevant and likely to be a close match - if someone could re-direct me to that or even move my post I am hoping I can easily follow that link and content. Many thanks in advance. OldB...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

@hursty wrote:

I have got a  home hub 6, however, i cant seem to access the settings where you enter the plusnet username etc

There is no settings tab

Can someone put some pictures up, or give a more detailed instruction. Its doing my head in!

see Message 41 here

https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Broadband/page/3/thread-id/306720

Arwen78

I have tried all of these instructions to no avail: I click connect and nothing happens- any ideas?
Trying to connect as my Plusnet hub didn't arrived and they insisted on waiting a whole week before posting another one.
Getting desperate- any help appreciated...