cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Casey
Rising Star

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Just out of interest - the PN Hub One is the BT Hub5... OK..

Does it have its own firmware from, or designed by, Pnet or does it update with BT HUb5 FW?

Is it a separate PNet FW on BThub5 physicals or just the whole BT Hub5 shebang in a different outer box..?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Without wishing to go off the original topic, the Hub One physically is the same as the HH5, different colour, but does not come with the BT Wi-Fi option and perhaps some other minor bits, but comparing the Troubleshooting/Helpdesk tab, looks very similar. Wi-Fi and other options are very similar.

Casey
Rising Star

Yes - apologies to the rest of the posters for twisting it off topic. Thanks for the update (interesting).
berryp1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hi,

if it helps here is my experience in joining Plusnet. I joined today.

I was with EE, and declined the router because I have an EE one. This morning I logged into my EE router and tried to change the broadband username/password (the only thing I needed to change). The pile of poo called a router refused to let me -- it said the domain of my username had to end sf. FFS! Sad

I then got out my old BT Home Hub 2. I changed the broadband username/password (it took a bit of time to work out where to do this, but ho hum). That failed, even though the line was showing as good -- but after talking to a Plusnet support person he reset something on the broadband connection and it worked immediately.

I was told it would happen in time in any case, but apart from this glitch the change was fine.

As a final comment, my Internet connection is now wonderful! Let me repeat that, it is far better than what I was getting with EE. I think the problem was in DNS lookups, which seemed to take an age before I could connect. I use No script on Firefox, which is very useful is showing how many other parasites piggy back on a website (as just one example when you load a page from telegraph.co.uk you also send requests off to 20 or more other websites -- most of which you wouldn't want to know what you are doing).

I've not seen a bill yet, so I may change my mind! But up-to-now I think Plusnet is pretty good.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It has it's own firmware.

That's because the BT firmware is designed for and by BT which includes fixes for BT wifi, BT youview connectivity etc...

Plusnet may extract some bits out of the firmware.  

NE

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
KelvinGB1
Hooked

Good News ! - I just purchased a BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub) from ebay and it is working perfectly with Plusnet using the instructions supplied by "NorthEasterner". The settings you need are in "Advanced Settings" but the general principal is the same and you get a great improvement in Wi Fi coverage.

Don't forget to turn off the "Smart Setup" as it quickly becomes annoying when you are setting up devices on the network.

@NorthEasterner wrote:
Hi,
I have done a post on this a few years ago, but that was outdated.
Okay, so you want to use a BT hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on your Plusnet connection?
If you are using a used hub, it is recommended that you factory reset your hub, to do so there is a little pin on the rear of the hub, pop a paperclip etc... into the hole (whilst the hub is on) and keep it firmly pushed in for 10 seconds. The hub should restart. This will wipe any data or settings on the hub.
ADSL Connections
1) To use on a ADSL connection, simply grab an RJ11 cable (usually a grey cable) and pop this into the hub's DSL port, the other end into the microfilter.
2) Pop the power cable in and turn on the hub.  Wait for it to boot up.
Your hub will have a flashing 'B' light either red/purple or orange (depending on version of hub)
3) Insert an ethernet cable from one of the yellow ports (not the red port) and insert into your computer.
4) Open a web browser and enter or click on the link - http://bthomehub.home/  OR 192.168.1.254/  These links direct you to the hub's configuration pages.
5)Along the tab, you'll see 'Settings' click on this.  You'll be prompted for a password, or creating a new password if you reset the hub.  Enter your password.  To create a new password, enter your default admin password (found on removable card or underneath hub.)
6) Click on 'Enter your Broadband username and password' Which is the last option on the list.
7) You'll then see spaces to enter your username and password.  These will be your member centre username I.E Plusnet2015 was your member centre login, you'll enter plusnet2015@plusdsl.net as the username on the BT Hub.  Your password will be the one you use to log into the member centre. For more into visit https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser (login required)
Cool Then press connect
You should then be connected.
Fibre Connection
To use on a Fibre connection on the hub 2, 3, 4 you will need a Openreach modem.  On the hub 5, the Openreach modem is not required. You will need Type B Hub 2 to use on Fibre connection as Type A Hub 2 does not have the red WAN port.
1) To use on a Fibre connection, on all hubs before hub 5, you get the ethernet cable from the Openreach modem and plug it into the red WAN port.  If you are using the Hub 5, plug RJ11 cable directly into the master socket (if you have a pre-filtered socket) or into a microfilter if you are doing a self install.  Then the other end into the Hub 5's DSL port.
2) Pop the power cable in and turn on the hub.  Wait for it to boot up.
Your hub will have a flashing 'B' light either red/purple or orange (depending on version of hub)
3) Insert an ethernet cable from one of the yellow ports (not the red port) and insert into your computer.
4) Open a web browser and enter or click on the link - http://bthomehub.home/  OR 192.168.1.254/  These links direct you to the hub's configuration pages.
5)Along the tab, you'll see 'Settings' click on this.  You'll be prompted for a password, or creating a new password if you reset the hub.  Enter your password.  To create a new password, enter your default admin password (found on removable card or underneath hub.)
6) Click on 'Enter your Broadband username and password' Which is the last option on the list.
7) You'll then see spaces to enter your username and password.  These will be your member centre username I.E Plusnet2015 was your member centre login, you'll enter plusnet2015@plusdsl.net as the username on the BT Hub.  Your password will be the one you use to log into the member centre. For more into visit https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser (login required)
Cool Then press connect
You should then be connected.
If you require any assistance, please PM me or leave a message and I'll do my best to help.
NorthEasterner  Smiley

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I must admit I'm tempted to swap out my Asus router for the latest HH6.

I have 2 BT Wifi people near me who's signal is more powerful in my house than my Asus that is 3 metres away, same room, and in direct line of sight.

I know the BT people are not either side of me so how powerful is the HH Wifi signal ?

This is both their 2.4 and 5Ghz spectrums.

I have obviously placed my signals on different channels to them.

Let's be careful out there !
welshguy2016

Im using a Home Hub 4, is it worth upgrading to a Home Hub 5? I see they are good value on Ebay?

4d

Hi.

I have just signed up as I am trying to setup a new BtHH5 on my PN fibre connection.

Going through the setup described here, I get as far as entering my username and password, click connect, and then nothing happens... I have tried doing it in advanced settings as well with the same result. Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks Smiley

stuclark1975
Grafter

I bought the HH6 on the basis of it's better Wifi signal strength, and yes, it is better then the HH5. (it's broadband modem also connects at a higher speed than my HH5)

HOWEVER - the HH6 reboots *every* time I try to launch a VPN connection. This is a known fault which people are complaining to BT about ( https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Hub-6-not-connecting-to-VPN/td-p/1639390 ) but of course there's not solution yet Sad

... so ... if you have no need for VPNs, then go for the HH6. If, on the other hand, you do need to use VPNs, steer clear for now...

allanmc

Can anyone advise what the latest version of the BT HH 5 Type A is? I've just fallen heir to one and it is up and running on my Plusnet ADSL line with software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.222.1.1 (Last updated 20/02/16). Does that sound like the most current version, or is there a newer one available, with lots of lovely bug fixes and the ability to configure your preferred DNS servers? Ta.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi @allanmc

According to the BT community the latest version is  4.7.5.1.83.8.222.1.11

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Home-Hub-5A-4-7-5-1-83-8-222-1-11-firmwa...

No idea about what it offers though.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
allanmc

Well done you! I spent ages digging about on that website looking for that info without any luck.  I dunno what it offers either, but am reassured that it is as current as possible. Ta much for your efforts.

Shaan
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Right I have followed the tutorial here but my wireless isn't working it only works when i plug an Ethernet cable in but doesn't let me connect to the Internet and there is an orange symbol on the router I've also waited 24 hours.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Is the wireless enabled on the hub?

Is the orange wireless signal light on?  If so, it means that either 2.4ghx or 5ghz band or both are disabled.

Hope this helps

NE

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up