Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

greengrass
Grafter

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

The HH5 is also a type A.
Not sure what model of PlusNet router is going to be sent to me. I just looked and the model was not specified in the e-mails from PlusNet.
I have no idea what the difference in Type A and B are so I Googled it and it brought me back to this site Smiley
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=140268.0
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

They both have their pros & cons as more or less mentioned in that thread. On ADSL it might depend on what you will be using your connection for and what you have connected as to which is best.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It is likely because you're on ADSL, Plusnet will send out the Hub Zero (basically no good and quite basic) I would recommend using the Hub 5 on the connection and will have a better wifi connection.
NE  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Slightly OT, the Hub Zero is very good on the ADSL side, it's the Router side that's rather poor, but if you are just connecting computers, don't require port forwarding or anything else fancy, it should be fine, apart possibly from the wifi where the HH5A should do better as NE says.
mikesalway

Had a basic plus net hub sent when I first started their service a few years ago, but compared to my old BT hub it had a very poor range. I reconfigured my old BT hub and it worked much better, as it did when I used it on BT. I spoke to friends at the time who confirmed my experience.
I wondered why Plus Net was cheaper than BT, now I know, you appear to get what you pay for  Undecided
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Yep, however if you signed up to the fibre package you receive a rebadged BT Hub 5. 
My hub 5 unfortunately died, so Plusnet had sent out a Hub One, which I like due to its white colour scheme.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
greengrass
Grafter

I received a text telling me the "home phone service is ready to use" this morning so I tried to get online.
After putting in my user name and password it said I was online but I could not open a browser, I turned the router off and on again, reset it, time and time again but no good.
So I tried to connect with the Technicolour PlusNet router I was sent, went through the process including leaving it for 15 minutes. All lights were green except the Internet which was red.
This had taken me about 1 1/4 hours, so I called customer services, waited 15 minutes to get through and the helpful person said he would have a look to see what is going on, when he came back he apologised about the inconvenience and said it should work now and I did not even have to input the username and password again, the browser opened up Smiley
I am using the HH3.
Thanks again for your help.
shermans
Pro

Can anyone help with a BT Homehub 5 set up on Plusnet, please ? I have just bought a second hand Series A Homehub 5 on eBay.  I have been having difficulty getting anything to work and cannot even be sure that re-setting the router with a pin and holding it for 15 seconds works.  I am getting really frustrated because I understood it works with PlusNet.  I only have a DSL line, getting about 4 Mb. at most, as I live in a rural area.

I have followed explicitly all the directions on this forum topic but I cannot get the Homehub 5 to allow me to change my username from BT to Plusnet. I have tried for hours.

Having changed the admin password, I then go to Advanced Settings > Broadband and then all I ever get is "PPP Connecting". Then after about five minutes and only for a few for a few moments , I get a screen inviting me to change the user name and password. But when I try to enter my Plusnet user name, it just defaults to the BT user name and then goes back to "PPP connecting".

What am I doing wrong ?  Can anyone help with this ?  It should be as simple as any other router but it is not !

shermans
Pro

Well, it is like going to the doctor only to findthat when you get there, the pain has gone !

After posting the last message, I started to fiddle about.  The only thing that I did of significance was to set up a Dynamic DNS which I then immediately cancelled,  There was no Dynamic DNS set up previously, but I wasdesparately trying everything.  But after doing that, it suddenly burst into life for no obvious reason.  I just do not understand what has been going on.  Anyway, I am not complaining now.

I want to make further changes but am scared to screw things up again, naturally.  So one question at a time.  Can I safely change the SSID and the WiFi password ?  If I cannot change the SSID, can I safely at least change the WiFi password ?

very452001
Grafter

I have a brand new unused BT Home Hub 5 Type B model.

What is the latest firmware version for this model and when was it officially released and finally how do I update the firmware on this?

Casey
Rising Star

You should be OK - the wifi password controls connection to the router, not the router to the main internet lines. You'll have to remember to change the password on all your connecting devices - I did a while ago and forgot the printer... wondered why I couldn't print. According to Bt you can change the Hub3 SSID: Make sure you're connected to your hub and open your web browser. ... Click on the Settings tab. Click on the LAN tab, which appears below the Settings tab. Click on the Wireless link, which appears below and to the left of the LAN tab. Scroll to the Network section. In the Network Name (SSID) field, enter a new name. Maybe the same with other hubs?
Casey
Rising Star

hh5a-​v6-​complete.tar.gz is the hub's firmware update. It detects a new FW and downloads it - BUT (and I;m not sure here) it might be that you have to be on BT for the FW to get updated. Since you're not, it doesn't "go in" and gets re-downloaded the next time it detects it. I can't confirm that though. (just an exercise in logic) Edit - oops... forgot to quote the original post... this was in reply to the guy who's Hub was downloading the same file over and over..)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

My various Home Hubs have updated themselves while connected to Plusnet. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to the timing, however - I've found myself getting updates others have mentioned weeks and months before.

That's one of the reasons I don't use them any more...

Casey
Rising Star

"no rhyme or reason"... sounds pretty spot on to me. Thanks for the confirmation (of me being wrong about the hub updating while on PNet) - good to know.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hub updates are I believe done in batches. The Hub 'calls' home to check and will update accordingly if there is an update.