Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking browsing history on 2704n router

FIXED
HashimA
Dabbler

Tracking browsing history on 2704n router

Hi there,

Does the 2704n router allow for tracking browsing history of devices connected to it? Looking at the event logs via the router's gateway, they don't seem to log this information. Is this generally possible with Plusnet routers? If not, are there any other (easy) ways that someone would be able to find the browsing history of devices connected to a router? Or is the only way it's possible via more advanced techniques like packet sniffing?

Thanks,

Hashim

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Tracking browsing history on 2704n router

I could be wrong here, but I don't think any router actually tracks browsing activity - that is usually a function of the browser you are using.

John
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

You would need to use a computer running pfsense and make that device your networks DHCP/DNS/Gateway to the internet and then only connect that pc to the router.

Then you can start to log all traffic.

No cheap and not easy.

Might be easier to get a job at GCHQ and read the logs they keep on everyone. Wink

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HashimA - If you are willing to upgrade your router then if you buy a DrayTek one you can then run this, to see who is doing what, where and when. If you are considering this then make sure the router you buy is compatible with the software these currently are : Vigor 2830, 2860, 2925, 2930, 2955, 2960, 3200, 5510 and 3900 Series

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Another option would be to run your own DNS server on the local network. In theory, all DNS requests from connected devices would go through the local DNS server so you'd be able to see who's doing what by trawling/parsing the logs.

Not for the uninitiated, but do-able using something like a Raspberry Pi if you fancy a side-project.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea @bobpullen, or if you happen to already own a Synology NAS device that runs DSM you can install their DNS Server package (like I have), and once you have it configured you can then go to Logs > Settings and change the Severity to Info to record the queries being made and the device that makes them.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@bobpullen wrote:

Not for the uninitiated, but do-able using something like a Raspberry Pi if you fancy a side-project.

There's always Pi-hole to make things easier for the uninitiated, and you get network level ad blocking to boot.

https://pi-hole.net/

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Fix

@HashimA

Not possible on the Plusnet 2704n (as far as I know) but a third party router will typically allow you to use DNS servers of your own choice.

If you use Open DNS https://www.opendns.com/ and create a (free) account you can see (and if you wish block) websites accessed. It works best with a static IP address (arguably Plusnet works best with a static IP address !) but can be made to work with public IP addresses that change.

I've used it for years and been very happy.

I am the satisfied customer....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DaveyH wrote:

There's always Pi-hole to make things easier for the uninitiated, and you get network level ad blocking to boot.
https://pi-hole.net/

I was going to suggest Pihole if my post got any traction Cool

Definitely gets my commendation.

Edit: @markhawkin, I think the 2704n does allow the use of non-PN DNS. You may be limited to some pre-configured presets though, I can't remember.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵