cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n firmware upgrade

FIXED
Rosiebud

Technicolor TG582n firmware upgrade

I’m looking for a way to get a firmware upgrade for my Technicolor TG582n router - am on 10.2.5.2 Variant FO - as am concerned about the botnet that has this week been highlighted as being on many routers.  Apparently upgrading the firmware - or reflashing - will resolve if the botnet is installed.

Even better would be a new router as mine is now a bit ‘long in the tooth’.  Is there a chance that Plusnet will supply, or do I need to provide a replacement myself.

Thanks in anticipation of help.

4 REPLIES 4
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Technicolor TG582n firmware upgrade

Fix

There are no firmware  updates for the discontinued TG582n.  I think the version you have was the last update for the USB model supplied to fibre customers.

Try speaking to Customer Options if you wish to re-contract and get a new router for price of delivery.

https://www.plus.net/help/my-account/thinking-of-leaving/

The 'Hub One' is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5A and is supplied to fibre Plusnet customers since end of 2015 (2013-14 for BT customers).  It wouldn't surprise me if it is replaced by the much better rebadged BT Smart Hub (introduced almost 2 years ago) by end of this year, or next year.

You can also find them and BT hubs (they work on Plusnet) on eBay. They will come with no guarantee and you will need to manually put your Plusnet user account and password into them, to make them connect to Plusnet.  See the post at the of top of this sub forum.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
xanda

We have this issue too inasmuch as we need our router to be updated because of frequently experiencing issues accessing the router administration interface.

Our router often breaks the basic remote access using the default Administrator account and even when this is not an issue, it often presents "Access Error: 500" on certain config pages.

It's a proper pain. At times, the only way past it is to reset to factory - first using the hardware button on the back of the unit which then *must* be followed by the reset option within the control interface.

Of course it means having to set up the router again.

We've been through this process almost 2 dozen times recently and it never seems to go away.

Cry

According to most of the sources we can find, these problems affect a dozen or so Technicolor routers and the answer invariably is to update the firmware to fully clear any corrupt internal files. This figures too as our router never really resets cleanly despite using both the hardware and software options.

The release we have is: 8.4.4.J

As we understand it this is very old but at the same time there seems no official way to update this. We'd be grateful to know how though please. Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

If you take out a new contract you can negotiate a new one for the cost of P&P as part of the deal. However be aware that if you are on standard broadband this will be a Hub Zero, which has very poor Wifi performance by today's standards.

Alternatively, go onto Ebay and spend £20-30 on a Smarthub 6 as suggested above. These are in a different class compared with the Hub Zero

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

xanda

Thanks for this - at times like these it seems a replacement router is an appealing option.

It transpires our router works ok across the board. For some reason though, configuring it via web browser is somewhat fraught with gremlins which have only recently crept in; hence the reason for seeking a firmware update.

The other thing that doesn't work is the tool for 'configuration backup and restore'. This would have made our problem somewhat easier to fix.

It seems we are not alone - web is replete with reports of such issues.

Still though we have found a solution to get by with: Technicolor routers feature a built-in Telnet interface and using this a user can set the parts unreachable via the web admin tool.

For those who are still interested, this is described here at:-

Official Technicolor Telnet CLI reference on demon.net

Technicolor Telnet command interface on lehollandaisvolant.net

All that said a firmware update would still be welcome.

Thanks for reading and hope it saves another piece of plastic from landfill! Thumbs_Up