cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link Extender Speeds

jonesypeter
Dabbler

TP-Link Extender Speeds

We just moved to full fibre broadband.  Previously our speed was around 25Mbps, and full fibre gives us 150Mbps when connected via ethernet to my computer.

I can also obtain good speeds when using WiFi on my phone and being close to the router.

My issue is with our WiFi extenders.  The model is TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender.

The maximum speed we seem to get is around 20Mbps. I have checked the range is correct. I appreciate this device only operates on the 2.4Ghz band, but why is it so slow?

I'm happy to buy new extenders, but I'm on a budget (just retired!) and don't want to invest in a mesh system. What should I be looking for.  We would like to stick to TP-Link if possible.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Peter

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Re: TP-Link Extender Speeds

The maximum speed we seem to get is around 20Mbps. I have checked the range is correct. I appreciate this device only operates on the 2.4Ghz band, but why is it so slow?

2.4ghz wifi has an effective maximum throughput of around 40-50Mb

However,

The wifi extender has to split its bandwidth between interacting with the router and interacting with the clients. This means you're starting with only 1/2 of the bandwidth. Hence the 20Mb is going to be about as good as it gets.

You MIGHT get better results from an extender that has 5ghz support, since the effective maximum bandwidth is around 300Mb. AIUI (although I've never used them) Mesh systems operate differently so they don't suffer (as much) from reduced thoughput.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

opelfruitcase

Are you able to run a cable from the router to have another WiFi access point in the 'not spot' area?

If you use the same SSID (network name) and ensure it's on different channels, then this should work really well and will give you good throughput, saving you needing to go through the expense of a mesh set up.  I can highly recommend TP-Link EAP225, which is what I have in use.

markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 13

@jonesypeter 

A mesh system is probably the right answer but I've had good results with a couple of Apple Airport Express (A1392) units.

You can get these second hand from CEX for £22 at the moment.

I found one (connected by Ethernet to the router) was good (put it where you use WiFi if you can) but a mesh of 2 has been very impressive.

They only have 100Mb/s ethernet connections but test at 94.5Mb/s on a phone nearby.

If you have any Apple devices or want to network a printer you can also do this with the Express,

I've got one Airport Extreme (A1521) and that has faster WiFi (£30 from CEX) but for most purposes I think the Express is the better unit. 

I am the satisfied customer....
HPsauce
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Each to their own as the saying goes but I always view WiFi extenders as a last resort, they rarely if ever deliver on what they promise. Though there is an element of simplicity....

The best option, if you need a larger area of coverage is Access Points WIRED back to the central Switch/Hub/Router. There's then a decision whether to give them individual names or share the same SSID (name); I usually opt for different names.

Failing that use  "Homeplugs" to achieve the same thing, using the ring main wiring as a substitute for dedicated ethernet cable.

Note that LAN wiring doesn't need, in a  domestic environment, to be thick unbending Cat6 cable. Standard thin and flexible 4-core phone cable, correctly wired, is fine for up to 100mbps in anything other than a huge mansion! In fact if you look carefully at some shorter LAN cables supplied with routers you could easily see that it is only 4-core cable wired into the 8-contact RJ-45 plugs.

As an example I have a phone cable running unobtrusively around skirting boards and architraves from my router by the front door to a TV Digibox at the back of the house, total length about 25-30 metres via a very indirect route. It runs happily at 100mbps. I also have a WiFi access point at another rear location that serves the patio/garden area, linked over the mains, despite complications of having split ring mains due to a house extension.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

Indoor CAT5E is very similar in size and runs at the full 1000Mbps Full Fibre speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 13

.........Flat ethernet cabling is also very useful around the inside of the house.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 422

I agree but did not mention it as a quick search failed to find it by the reel. There’s plenty of ready terminated patch cables around of various lengths. Round unterminated cable only needs a circa 5mm drill to go through walls.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'