Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link Deco P9 Configuration No Internet Connection

FIXED
bvoelker

TP-Link Deco P9 Configuration No Internet Connection

Hello,

I recently moved into a new house and have plusnet fibre service newly installed using the Plusnet 1 Hub router.

The house is an old stone cottage and I get a poor connection in various parts of the house, including the room where my desk is for working!

I have purchased a TP-Link Deco P9 Powerline Mesh system after reading good reviews, with 3 hubs to install throughout the house.

Unfortunately, I am getting stuck at the setup stage and cannot seem to get an internet connection, although the P9 is able to setup a network that my phone recognises; there's just no internet.

The only obvious step that it seems I must be getting wrong is the connection configuration through plusnet.  I have found the settings that I understand to be right; which are:

Connection Type: PPPoE

Username = myusername@plusdsl.net

Password = my member centre password

VLAN Active
VLAN ID (802.1q) 101
VLAN ID (802.1p) 0

The issue is that the questions asked in the TP-Link setup app are slightly different:

Connection Type, username and password are all okay

VLAN active is fine

Then it asks for VLAN mode, which has a bunch of random countries with fixed VLAN IDs, so I have chosen Custom

Then it asks for VLAN ID; I have assumed this is 101

Then it asks for Internet VLAN Priority; I have assumed this is 0

Lastly, it asks for 802.1Q Tag with a tickbox.  I have tried both ticking this and unticking it.

Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: TP-Link Deco P9 Configuration No Internet Connection

Fix

You don't need those settings as the PN router already has them set up. You need to set the TP Link in Access Point mode.

I have not had a chance to look at the set up manual, but look for Access Point or similar mode.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi
I think the deco does not have a VDSL modem capability.
You will either need a modem/ a router in bridge mode.
Sadly the PN Hub one does not support bridge mode.
You could use the deco in access point mode and let the Hub one manage the PPPoE login to Plusnet.
Regards
Richard
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@bvoelker   Welcome to the forum 

Plusnet cause confusion by calling their hubs routers, they are not, they are combined modem/routers.

To get the Deco to work using all its built in router facilities you need to replace the Plusnet hub with a bridge modem. You can either buy a modem or a combined modem/router that can be configured as a bridge modem. Plusnet hubs cannot be set to this mode.
Alternatively, as @Mustrum  advises you can set the Deco up as an Access Point when all the routing is still done by the Plusnet hub and the Deco acts just as a repeater.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bvoelker

Many thanks all; this does exactly what I need it to do!

Obviously I am not super network savvy; it would also be helpful if the TP-Link app didn't send you directly down the route of setting up the router without giving one the option of the access point without digging as well.

Thanks again, this saved me a night of pulling my hair out!

frymc

Hi, I have a similar problem with my S4 Deco, however I'm even less tech savvy!

How do I set it up and the other two to just be a repeater via the plus net hub?

Or is it worth buying a router?  If so, any recommendations would be gratefully received.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1842/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'