Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to Hub2 no longer reaching work DNS

stan4th
Dabbler

Switched to Hub2 no longer reaching work DNS

Hi,

I switched to Hub 2 but I find that it looks like I cannot reach my work DNS server. We use a VPN but I don't think that is the issue as can reach other services which rely on a VPN connection.

Can anyone suggest whether this is the new router and if so what I can do about it?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 22

Re: Switched to Hub2 no longer reaching work DNS

It doesn't sound like a router issue.  When you connect to the VPN you create a tunnel between your PC and the VPN.  If that tunnel can be created over the connection on the router, then the router shouldn't be anything to do with it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stan4th
Dabbler

Hi,

I managed to get things working again - but only when I disconnected the LAN cable and switched to WiFi.

This all seems very strange - any thoughts on why this might be?

Thanks.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 22

That does seem very odd.  If you connect it back up then does it still work?  Failing that what if you restart both your computer and your Hub2?

Only thing that I can think of is there is a clash of IP Addresses between the DNS Server and your computers when it was using ethernet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

I managed to get things working again - but only when I disconnected the LAN cable and switched to WiFi.

This all seems very strange - any thoughts on why this might be?

You're not using port 4 (marked in red) are you ? that can't be used as a LAN port, its a dedicated WAN port for connecting to a VDSL modem or an FTTP ONT.

stan4th
Dabbler

Hi MisterW,

no, I've not used that - the really strange thing is that the connection works in every other respect for the cabled LAN...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

Has the wired NIC on the laptop got different IPV4 settings to the wireless one ?

The wireless one is likely to be set to get IP address & DNS automatically , whereas the wired one MAY have DNS servers set manually perhaps ?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 87

What you could with the cable connected execute this command in a command prompt (Windows key +R open CMD)

C:\>ipconfig /all |find "192.168.1."

Hopefully you will get the following reply. with the PC set to Automatic DHCP for IP Address and DNS

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.nnn(Preferred)    where nnn is the network interface  IP Address
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

NOTE:- with both wired and wireless connected it should show the above twice but with two different preferred IP Address and maybe different DNS Servers

Edit: If a DNS server IP address is not displayed it would be because it is not a 192.168.1.nnn address, then try

ipconfig /all |find "DNS Servers"