Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid question about using own router

FIXED
gilgong
Hooked

Stupid question about using own router

I'm thinking of moving from Virgin fibre to Plusnet fibre and using my own router running openWRT. 

With Plusnet fibre, how do I physically connect the router to Plusnet's network? Do they they install an RJ45 socket, a coax plug? What? I see it's PPPoE after that though.

The reason I ask is that I've not bought the router yet. I've been using Virgin's router (which connects to a coax plug) in modem mode with a Ubiquiti AP which I intend to keep using with Plusnet.

9 REPLIES 9
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Stupid question about using own router

Welcome to the forums @gilgong 

PlusNet will activate your account on your master socket. So that'll be RJ45.

Your Virgin Media, (or as I like to call them Branson Media) router won't be usable. I think so, though I haven't looked any coverters up (if they even exist).

As long as you have a working phone master socket, PlusNet will send you a new router and it should be a case of just plugging it in.

gilgong
Hooked

Thanks - I see. Hm. We don't have a phone master socket because we don't have a phone line. Well, we used to but that was about 10 years ago I think.

So I take it this will mean BT will have to install a line and that's going to cost loads of money and I'll have to buy one of those PPPoE converter boxes to get an Ethernet connection to plug the router into.

At least on the upside that will mean our Virgin connection could run in parallel with Plusnet until we need to get rid of it.

Why is nothing ever simple?

Tags (1)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

So I take it this will mean BT will have to install a line and that's going to cost loads of money and I'll have to buy one of those PPPoE converter boxes to get an Ethernet connection to plug the router into.

I believe the new line install cost is £49.99. PlusNet will supply a modem/router which plugs directly into the master socket, for the cost of postage ( £6.99). If you wish to continue using your Ubiquiti AP then you will need a VDSL capable modem to connect between the master socket and the Ubiquiti.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gilgong
Hooked

Thanks - £50 isn't too bad I suppose. I think I should be able to use one of these in modem/pass-through mode to one of these running OpenWRT (not that I have to run a Ubiquiti thing but it just happens to be OpenWRT compatible and it's cheap).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yes, the W9970 will work in modem(bridge) mode, I use one myself. It just looks awful!

There's also the option of a used BT Openreach modem , Huawei HG612 from a well known auction site.

There was a thread on here listing all the possibilities for vdsl modems but I can't seem to find it at the moment

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gilgong
Hooked

I'd like to install OpenWRT on the router (for ... reasons), and it looks like the Huawei HG612 isn't supported for that.  But I'll see if I can find the thread as maybe that'll throw up some more options. 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@gilgong  The HG612 would be running as a modem in bridge mode so it has no need for OpenWRT support, surely OpenWRT is the router operating system which uses a PPPoE connection to the modem.

gilgong
Hooked

Ah, right, sorry. Yes - the HG612 might be a better bet than the TD-W9970 (if for no better reason than it looks nicer!)