Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP on PS5

FIXED
Statystyk1984
Hooked

Static IP on PS5

Hi,I have purchased static IP and are connected by ethernet cable to my PS5, what I need to do to have it on NAT1?
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Static IP on PS5

Mav
Fixes: 516

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Statystyk1984
Hooked

Hi,Thanks for the topic link.I have added the same rules as on the PS5 section to the firewall on the router settings but the connection is still Nat2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

NAT Type 1  is only available if your PS5 is connected directly to the internet WITHOUT router. NAT Type 2 is for normal setups that have routers, which what you should be using. 

If port forwarding doesn't work, then you might try putting the PS5 in the DMZ.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Statystyk1984
Hooked

Hi,I have added DMZ and saved the settings but now I cannot even connect to the router using my static IP address.
Statystyk1984
Hooked

I have removed a static IP as why would I pay for something I cannot use,if NAT 1 cannot be enabled using static IP and port forwarding or DMZ then there is no point for me to pay 5 quid for it.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

if NAT 1 cannot be enabled using static IP

NAT 1 has nothing to do with whether you have a static IP or not. NAT 1 is where the PS5 obtains the public IP rather than a private IP allocated by a router. The only way to get the public IP is for the PS5 to connect directly to the internet , either via a VDSL modem if you have FTTC or to the ONT if you have FTTP. The Ps5 would need to be configured for PPPoE with your PLusnet credentials. Note that, in this configuration, the PS5 would bo open to the internet with the corresponding security problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

@Statystyk1984 

Which router are you using?

Are you confusing a static private IP Address (the device IP Address on your local network) with a static public IP Address (your internet IP address)?

This information might be helpful https://portforward.com/nat-types/ regarding NAT types.

HTH

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Statystyk1984 wrote:

... I have added the same rules as on the PS5 section to the firewall on the router settings but the connection is still Nat2

Having read the link in @Dan_the_Van 's post, it would appear that achieving NAT-1 seems to have been designed to be unnecessarily technically too difficult for the average PS5 home owner to overcome, and therefore the vast majority of players will happily be using NAT-2.

@Statystyk1984  seeing as you are already connected by NAT-2,  what actual problems is that causing you ?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Fix

I've got my PS5 nat-type to show as 'Open', assuming that is what you mean by 'Type 1' with the following rules (some are used for remote play):

CleanShot 2024-01-15 at 13.23.30@2x.png

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Statystyk1984 wrote:

I have removed a static IP as why would I pay for something I cannot use ... ... there is no point for me to pay 5 quid for it.

The £5 is a one time charge to apply a static WAN IP address to your connection,  it is not an ongoing monthly cost.

On Plusnet, those connections with a static IP tend to have less problems than those on dynamic, especially if you will be connecting with foreign game servers that might have geo-restriction - as Plusnet dynamic addresses have frequently been incorrectly reported as being non-UK based by various geo-location services.

Given that you have already paid the one time charge, it would be preferable to re-enable it, even if currently it doesn't help with your NAT issue.

In addition, having a static IP address might be useful to you in future when you convert your telephone line to VoIP, or perhaps if you wanted to setup a 6in4 tunnel on your router to provide IPv6 network connections for your PS5 to bypass IPv4 NAT altogether.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Statystyk1984 

Another useful thing you can do with a static WAN IP address, is setup a ThinkBroadband Broadband Quality Monitor

to create graphs that show your broadband connection's latency and packet loss, which are useful to refer to if you ever suffer lag issues while playing online games.

thumb

Statystyk1984
Hooked

Problem was my lack of knowledge as didn't know that Nat2 was default while using the router but I wanted an open NAT and after using the port forwarding provided by one of the colleagues here COD is now showing NAT open 👌🏻