cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some devices have internet, some not

RyeMuseum

Some devices have internet, some not

This is an issue that we've had for some time, but I'm being pressed to fix it! 

We're in a small office. My desktop computer is always connected, seldom any problems.

Two laptop computers, one is usually connected with no problems, the other is often "connected no internet." I can sometimes get it working by turning wifi off and back on again, and sometimes with DHCP release and renew. Sometimes I can't get it going at all.

Two phones (one Apple one Android), sometimes connect no problem, sometimes "connected no internet." Sometimes they work if I "jiggle it" (turn wifi off and back on again).

I did do a search for similar threads in the past, but most people with this issue seemed to be new customers.

Inconsistent problems make me crazy, because I can't imagine what could cause them. I'm not awfully technical, but I can follow instructions. Any help is appreciated! 

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Some devices have internet, some not

I can't answer that conclusively, but a couple of questions to give me (and others) a chance. Which Hub are you using (if it is indeed a PN supplied device), and how old/up-to-date are the troublesome devices?

John
RyeMuseum

Thanks for the reply. Let's see...it says on the bottom Plusnet Hub One. Is that enough info? 

Of the devices that are having problems: the Android phone is about 3, I'm not sure of the iPhone. The iPad is about a year old (she didn't have this problem with the old one).

jab1
Legend

Right, so it is a Plusnet Hub - do you know which firmware release it is running?

I suspect - but can't prove conclusively - that these devices are 5Ghz capable, and they get confused about which frequency to use, an unfortunate consequence of the Hubs configuration.

Will wait for your reply before saying more - but how technical are you?

John
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RyeMuseum

I assume I have to log in to the hub to see the firmware version. What's the IP, please? I'll look in the morning when I'm back in the office.

I used to consider myself technical, back in the days when I got my news from USENET. I'm usually lost lately.

jab1
Legend

Ah - an old-timer 😉

IP is 192.168.1.254

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Good Evening @RyeMuseum, I am sorry for the issues that you are having.

So I can take a further look into this for you could you please send me over a PM with the username of the account this relates to? To send a PM, click on my name and then to the right, there will be a grey button to 'send private message'.

When private messaging, please also include a link to this thread just in case a colleague picks this up Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team