cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up QOS on ER605 router

IMM
Grafter

Setting up QOS on ER605 router

I've recently bought an ER605 router in anticipation of my FTTP install.

To try it out, I've connected it to my current DSL router and have successfully connected to my normal LAN and also the internet. (ie Laptop <> ER605 <> DSL Router <> Internet.)

I thought I would try to enable QOS to lower the buffer bloat that I normally have.

Without QOS at all I get grade F on waveform, with download 61Mb/s and upload 18.8Mb/s

with the  settings in the attachment, I get grade D - not a great improvement.

If I change the Status to enable then I get Grade A buffer bloat but a download speed of only 14.9Mb/s with upload of 4.5Mb/s.

Some guidance as to what I should be doing to lower buffer bloat whilst maintaining speed would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

Re: Setting up QOS on ER605 router

If I change the Status to enable then I get Grade A buffer bloat but a download speed of only 14.9Mb/s with upload of 4.5Mb/s.

@IMM the ER605 idoesnt have high spec cpu performance (its only a dual core 880mhz) but your results do seem a little low!.

I have an ER605 (although its running Openwrt) on my FTTP connection and with h/w NAT enabled i achieve the full 900/110 Mb throughput. Using QOS is cpu intensive and is incompatible with h/w NAT and although I've never tried it, I would expect disabling h/w NAT would effectively halve my download speed. Adding QOS I expect would reduce that further. 

If you wish to use QOS then I'd be looking at a router with a quad core cpu at >1Ghz

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IMM
Grafter

@MisterW Thanks for your input.

You may be right about the lack of computing power (though interestingly the status page shows a graph of load on 4 cores.)

My thought was that the lower part of the setup page I showed has settings for, what I assume is bandwidth allocation, for Class 1, class 2, class 3 and Others, each set at 25%. I rather assumed that the speed test packets all fitted into one of those categories and as such the bandwidth was limited to about 25% of the total available - ie 14.8 Vs 61 and 4.52 Vs 18.8.

I was hoping that someone would have some wise words about adjusting those ratios or maybe what I should be doing with "class Rules" or "Tag Outbound Traffic"

Any idea where I find the hardware NAT setting on the standard web interface?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

@IMM there's some info here on setting QOS for the ER605 https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/653838 not sure if its helpful.

Any idea where I find the hardware NAT setting on the standard web interface?

IIRC there isnt one on the standard ER605 firmware, I believe its enabled automatically and disabled when QOS is enabled.

I gave up on the standard firmware, with the shambolic firmware updates I lost confidence that TP link had control over it!

I installed Openwrt which has a direct setting of h/w & s/w NAT and QOS.

Having a 900/110 FTTP connection , then whilst bufferbloat shows as a problem in speedtests (when the connection is saturated) , in real life its not a problem!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.