Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router making hissing/fizzing noise

dja76
Hooked

Router making hissing/fizzing noise

Hi,

We switched over to plus net a few weeks ago and since then the router has been making occasional fizzing/hissing noises. We only notice it when the tv is off so just ignored it until now; but is this normal? When it happens the internet does appear slower too.

Thanks,

Darren

7 REPLIES 7
Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Re: Router making hissing/fizzing noise

Hi @dja76,

The noise the router is making could be caused by the 5Ghz Wi-Fi frequency  if you're using a Hub One.

I've included a guide below on how to disable this feature to see if it helps:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.
2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'
3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.
4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Please note that if you disable the 5Ghz frequency, the standard 2.4Ghz frequency will still be in use and Wi-Fi connections should still work as normal.

Let us know how you get on.

dja76
Hooked

I’ve just unsyncd it and changed the ssid but now a speed test is about 20% slower? Is that normal? I didn’t have to do this with my previous broadband provider.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @dja76.

It's perfectly normal for the speed to be slightly slower on the 2.4Ghz.

We're able to try a replacement router, however, as this is a known issue we can't guarantee that the new one wouldn't make the same noise.

Please let us know if you'd like for us to exchange it for you.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483
Moved:

dja76
Hooked

The upside of turning turning off the sync is the overall WiFi coverage, previously it was very intermittent upstairs with a few blackspots; but now it’s almost as fast as downstairs!

I’m pretty shocked with the difference; but don’t worry about a replacement if it’s a known fault I can live with 2.4ghz.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear you're seeing an improvement since splitting off the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies @dja76.

Thanks for letting us know, do let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'