Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router losing broadband connection

FIXED
stu1892
Grafter

Router losing broadband connection

Hi

In the last couple of weeks, but router has been dropping broadband connection quite often.

The first I notice is that my work VPN drops with no internet connection and I look at my phone to see an exclamation next to the WiFi symbol and a message about Authentication.  If i get a chance to click on that, I get through to the page attached.

It tends to come back without any power cycle of the router, but there's no pattern it seems. This has continued to happen through a mesh system, through the Plusnet Hub One on 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  I'm now using one 5ghz SSID with no other peripherals.

My contract is up in ten days and i'll be leaving if I can't get this resolved as it's severely impacting my work.

Any help appreciated.

Stu

14 REPLIES 14
Overscore
Rising Star

Re: Router losing broadband connection

Hello,

Sorry to hear about that annoying problem.

When was the firmware in the router last updated?

Is it set to choose the best band itself, or have you chosen it?

Has a new router appeared in the ones available, leading to ....

Has a neighbour just set up a router on the same channel number, hence a clash and interference?

You've checked all the cables by substitution?

Good luck

stu1892
Grafter

Thanks for getting back, Overscore.

4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 26/03/19.  I've been using mesh for a year until the last few weeks when i wanted to try 5ghz for certain devices.  This would might actually coincide with my issues.
I believe it was set to choose it's own band.  I have had separate SSIDs and weren't set to sync with 2.4ghz.

I can't say a new router has appeared recently. There is another Plusnet one nearby somewhere.  This could well be new, but i can't guarantee it.

I replaced the ADSL cable yesterday as i needed a longer one and hoped it would make a difference but it hasn't.

I've now seen the 5ghz issues post.  I may request the fix that they seem to be offering, or i may just take the plunge and get a BT Smart Hub.  IF I decide to stay with Plusnet.

Overscore
Rising Star

I don't think you will get it fixed by Plusnet in 10 days.

I was with EE until last month and wish I'd stayed. It was as reliable as a rock.

stu1892
Grafter

This is now happening with just the 2.4ghz.  5ghz is disabled.

Overscore
Rising Star

Hi, I've just noticed this:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/td-p/1696363

I hope it solves the problem for you.

Overscore

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @stu1892 

Sorry about your issues, but you appear to be confused on the meaning of the error.

Flashing b means there is an issue with the broadband signal to your house, not wifi issues.

Most likely you have intermittent noise on your phone line which causes this, you should follow the fault finding guide using this link

If you take a look on your Hub One tabs across the top >Troubleshooting >Event Log > WAN (from the drop down) you should see messages which might read like this "PTM over DSL is down after NNN minutes uptime" NNN = uptime in minutes.

Moving to another ISP is unlikely to resolve this dropping broadband signal issue.

Dan.

stu1892
Grafter

Hi Dan.

This is exactly what I thought until i seen that 5Ghz Hub One Wifi issue post.

I did find a few PTM over DSL is down after x minutes uptime from yesterday.  Some long periods and some very short periods.

I'll take a look at the troubleshooting that you've sent and see if i can find anything.

Cheers

stu1892
Grafter

Hi @Dan_the_Van 

I've done everything but take the face plate off so far.  I shall try that.  But I can't see what may have changed in the last 3 weeks for it it happen so often.

Do i report it?

Cheers

Stu

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @stu1892 

Has any of the testing required a quiet line test? Using a wired phone if you have one, dial 17070 and select option 2. If the line is noisy raise a phone fault otherwise raise a broadband fault.

Hope this helps

Dan

stu1892
Grafter

Thanks Dan.  I may look to buy a wired phone and give it a go!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Thanks for your post @stu1982 and apologies for the delayed response.

Your connection has certainly been intermittent over the past week as shown below

Our tests are showing an Impairment in copper joint close to your property which will require an engineer visit to resolve.

I've just updated your account with the next steps. If you can let us know once you've responded we'll get that picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
stu1892
Grafter

Thanks Matthew.  I believe my gf has received a text to arrange a slot.  I'll take a look when she's home.

stu1892
Grafter

Thanks for the help everyone.

Engineer came out and moved the plug from near the fuse box, where it was originally put in, and it seems to be working a lot better.

Cheers

Stu

Roebgeoff

Same here I changed from EE 3 weeks ago never had a problem, since joining Plusnet orange light dropping connection and nowhere near guaranteed speed. Only difference to setup is Plusnet router regret moving if this is going to be the norm for 18 month contract.