Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router WiFi Problems

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Router WiFi Problems

As advised, turn off the 5GHz on the router and then see if the speed tests show a faster speed.

The second image you just posted is showing a weaker wifi signal on your device, hence the lower speed result.

You would need the lift out card from the back of the router for the routers admin password, then simply click the following http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105 (it will open your router page)

Type in the Admin Password for Hub Manager from the card (8 characters long)

On that page, under the heading 5GHz Wireless Configuration look for the Wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply (ignore the warning messages, it's normal).

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red light on the router, ignore this or put tape over it, then see if the speeds improve

This isn't a fix, just a temp measure to see if it improves.

The page will look similar to this:

my settings.PNG

If you have a laptop and one of the ethernet cables that comes with the router, then you could also connect the laptop via this method and test the speed this way.

Bones1959
Grafter

“Having said that our tests are now highlighting the speed going down your line is under estimates and we would need you to raise a fault here and let us know so we can pick this up promptly“
Now you have admitted their is a fault could anyone on forum tell me how to claim compensation?
Bones1959
Grafter

DS
Seasoned Champion

From my understanding, the only compensation you might get is for a total loss of service.

How often is the router going off?

Having a poor wifi signal/range is not within the remit of compensation as far as I know.

Did you ever report a fault?

Have you tried any of the suggestions?

(I still think the wifi is also the reason for the poor speed results, trying a wired device should show better results. I would still say you have a connection issue (possibly intermittently dropping) and a wifi issue).

These figures could be wrong too, but for a 24 hour total loss of service you would be potentially given £8 per day, assuming the ISP has signed up to this.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Bones1959 

Once we have cleared any fault on your line, we would be able to provide you with the due amount of credit for your service loss. 

Please let us know once you have raised the fault and we will escalate this to our supplier for investigation accordingly. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Bones1959
Grafter

Sorry so if I enter a contract for minimum 34mps and most days don’t get half that O well! If that’s the case you should ( plusnet) offer minimum 100mps or maybe 500mps. No come backs right?
Bones1959
Grafter

Thank you master of reality, I raised issue early January because 4 weeks earlier I had stroke and I was in hospital surrounded by my family. Phoned several times since then well my wife.
Bones1959
Grafter

DS
Seasoned Champion

I'm not an employee of Plusnet, just a customer like yourself.

I really am trying to help you to find the cause of the issue and hopefully try and help resolve it.

Even if they were to give you some money, it won't fix the problem.

The last thing I can suggest is to have someone fetch the card for you from the rear of the router, then click the following link - http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9143

That page will then ask you for a password, this is the 8 digit number and letter combination on the lower right of the card, type that in exactly as shown and click ok and you will then have a page detailing the router.

From that page, what figures are given after numbers 6 and 7?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Bones1959

As our testing hasn't identified any issues with your service to investigate further please connect your computer/laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable and run the BT Speedtester service from here

You must ensure that you have no other programs running at the same time such as streaming, general browsing and the most common one is antivirus programs downloading updates in the background.

Once the initial result is completed please click Further Diagnostics then type your phone number in and click run diagnostic test. This will run a test and send the results to the BT server for investigation.

Once you have completed this, please report a fault to us from here letting us know over here once you've completed it and we'll make sure it is picked up as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team