Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing BT Smart Hub Type A

FIXED
candell
Grafter

Replacing BT Smart Hub Type A

I've been using my BT Smart Hub Type A for many years, but recently the wifi performance is degrading heavily. I have Plusnet Unlimited Fibre.

Are there any recommended routers to replace the Smart Hub, or any to avoid? I've been looking around but not entirely sure which to get as each work for different broadband types. Ideally to keep the wife happy, it wouldn't look hideous if anyone is happy to recommend one? Some of the gaming ones with multiple antennas would be a hard no haha.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Replacing BT Smart Hub Type A

@candell 

It’ unusual for WiFi to slowly degrade. It’s far more likely that another transmission from a neighbour has started using the same channel and the two are fighting each other. Have you checked whether you are using the 2.4 or 5GHz band and manually selecting a different band or channel?

One way to check is to use a WiFi sniffer app. I use WiFiAnalyzer on an Android phone. This will let you see how many other routers are using the same channel.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

candell
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

Thank you for the reply Baldrick, I notice that my neighbour has recently moved over to Shell for their provider, I'm not sure when though, I'll have to ask when I next see him (he is rarely there).

Thanks for the app suggestion, I can see that my 2.4GHz is on channel 11, his is on channel 9. Is it worth me moving higher? There are no other wifi, except my extender. I have a TP Link extender for the far side of the house and garden.

The vast majority of devices are connected to 2.4GHz, I have 3 security cameras, doorbell, TV, three laptops, 3 phones, printer that are all pretty much always connected, with other devices being in and out. 

5GHz is saved for the gaming desktop and VR headset to keep that as clean as possible. But that has started to be very choppy lately also. The desktop is cabled to the Smart Hub, with the VR headset connected to it via 5GHz. Looking on WiFiAnalyzer, nothing else except my extender is on 5GHz.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Fix

@candell 

To avoid adjacent channel interference the three preferred channels on the 2.4GHz band are 1, 6 and 11. Your neighbour could interfere with both 6 and 11.

I would set yours to Channel 1.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

candell
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I've now changed 2.4GHz to use channel 1 and will monitor how it goes.

candell
Grafter

So far whilst working, all seems really good. The true test will be when my daughter gets home and fires up Roblox or Fortnite. The last few days she's been experiencing connection drops on her computer dumping her out of the games.

candell
Grafter

@Baldrick1 

All seems great thank you. You saved me some time and money, and landfill another piece of tech 👍