cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Router for hub one

romanysgang99

Replacement Router for hub one

Just moved to Plusnet but didn't appreciate how dreadful the supplied router is. Need to get a replacement and I'm not really a "techy" person so simple is good. I have an Openreach 5C wall master socket and don't mind cost but just need to ditch the plusnet router ASAP with a direct replacement that will work well in a 4 bed house with a mix of stone and stud walls. Any suggestions please.
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Replacement Router for hub one

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@romanysgang99  Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have just missed out on the change over for new subscribers from a Plusnet Hub One to the new Hub Two.

Basically any ADSL/VDSL combined Modem/Router from a third party manufacturer such as Asus, Netgear TP-Link etc., will work, but none are what you might call a 'direct replacement'. The Plusnet hubs just need plugging in. Any replacement requires you to follow simple instructions to configure them.

You will probably receive nearly as many different recommendations as replies as we all have our favouries. Those on a budget get a BT Smarthub from an auction site and use the settings pinned at the top of this Router board to set it up.

The one thing to watch is that Plusnet call their hub a router. It is NOT a router, it is a combined modem/router. Don't follow many others and fall into the trap of buying a simple Router.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mando
Hooked
Fixes: 2

the TPlink wired powerline adapters work well with the hub one, i use 2 pairs to run 1Gbp up to upstairs to switches in each upstairs room so everything runs wired in each room upstairs, but you could put a wireless router or booster at each end if its weakspots due to walls etc.

you simply pair them together in 2 sockets next to each other then take 2nd one to destination plug in to wall and the lan cable to a switch or wiresless booster if needs be, their mesh boxes would be perfect and flood all floors with wifi, combined with a wired feed via the powerlines

5Ghz wifii is woeful through walls with any router, (meant really for same room/floor/plasterboard walls) communications

red brick forget it mate or thick sandstone/granite etc, in those deadzones put the 2nd power adapter there and link it to whatever options you want to have good localised wifi.

if its an older well built stone house all wifis going to struggle buddy, tyhe plusnet routers a pretty decent unit with decent features, better than what most ISPS after BT supply, which is what plusnets hubone is based on if i remember correctly.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@romanysgang99  

A few clarifications on @Mando‘s post.

If you are looking at alternative ways of improving your WiFi then these are your options. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper.... Especially leak at the linked post relating to powerline unit limitations. They have caused me a lot of grief in the past due to my mains electrical wiring layout.
A Plusnet Hub One is basically a BT Home Hub 5A, discontinued by BT years ago. This has inferior wireless performance to the more recent BT Smarthub and current Plusnet Hub Two/BT Smarthub 2. These all give good performance on both bands in an average 4 bed house with a mixture of block and stud walls. A wireless killer is with some new builds where aluminium backed insulation boards have been included in the stud walls.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'