cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with brand new Hub Two Network devices settings

adrianwb

Problems with brand new Hub Two Network devices settings

Hi,

I've been playing around with setting up the names and icons for various devices in the Advanced settings -> Network devices tab, and my experience has been mixed:

- sometimes takes multiple edits/saves to get changes to stick - refresh doesn't show the changes

- "always use this IP address" doesn't seem to work - I had to set the IP manually on the device itself to something outside the DHCP range

- devices are showing as online when they're not, and they can't be removed unless they're "offline"

- often won't save changes due to an apparent duplicate IP address - if I change it to something else, it'll save but still shows the old IP address

- as mentioned in another post, not all my devices are in the list of devices which can be added to a group - I suspect there's a limit on how many devices can be shown, so maybe if I could get rid of all the ghost devices...

As far as I know,  it's running the latest firmware.

Thanks for any help/suggestions, Adrian

4 REPLIES 4
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 80

Re: Problems with brand new Hub Two Network devices settings

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Hub Two's DHCP server.

Currently I have two entries for the same Pixel Phone !

I find some devices just can't be set to a DHCP allocated static address, the devices on my list are smart plugs, ring camera, wiz lights. But anything that is running Android, Apple IOS, Windows or Linux based OS you can set a DHCP allocated static address.

I have had a ghost IP address before, it required a factory reset to remove, which probably is something you would not like to do.

This is the current firmware v0.10.00.04201-PN

HTH

Edit: I did see your other thread but not using groups I didn't reply

2nd Edit: watchout for newer smart phone and other wireless addresses using randomised MAC addresses which make the hardware difficult to identify.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A device "borrows" an IP, using DHCP, then by default it gets allocated for 24 hours: after that time, the device will automatically "renew" the IP address use.

I believe the router uses the fact that there is an active IP address lease for the device to define it as being "online"... so a device that's still within that 24 hour widow will be deemed to be still active.

Showing the old IP address when changing it... that's the router "trying to be helpful" (but stupid!): the idea is that old DHCP leases will get saved, so the router can use that same IP again for that device. (If it runs out of IP addresses, then it will re-use old, no-longer-in-use, ones).

For many devices, the DHCP table is held in memory, so re-powering the device will usually clear your IP tables. As your existing devices re-connect to the wifi, they will ask to renew their current IP address, so will keep what they had.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"Currently I have two entries for the same Pixel Phone !"

I'm thinking that could be one when it connected on 2.4GHz, the other on 5GHz?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 80

"I'm thinking that could be one when it conneced on 2.4GHz, the other on 5GHz?"

The connected devices list should only list a devices MAC address once, so if a devices IP address changes there would not be second listing for that device against that MAC address.

However, if you have two devices with the same name but different MAC address then there will be two devices in the list with the same name, after I checked properly it was a random MAC address setting on the pixel phone was set to gave the second listing.