Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with PlusNet Hub Two

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Problems with PlusNet Hub Two

If you set up the Hub 2, think of it as a modem only, no WiFi, no ip routing, your existing router will need to do all the 10 network stuff and WiFi.

If you need access to the specific 10 network, and Wifi, maybe it is time you bought your own router. The days of getting a fe=ree ISP router to do non standard stuff is well over.

Felindre
Hooked

That's the conclusion I'm coming to. I just woke up the HUB2 again and had a rummage, and basically, it's pretty useless. As you say if I set it to bridge mode It loses everything. What I really wanted was new improved wifi. 

Guess I'll just have to get a new router, another post mentioned TP-link AC-2800, don't know anything about it yet, any other recommendations?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

Combined Modem/Routers are usually more expensive than standalone routers, so you could use the Hub two in bridge mode and invest in a better router. Some newer routers support wifi 6 which might be good for you, I've used TP-Link devices for years and been happy with them. personally I would read a comparison review.

TP-link AC-2800 can be configured as a router only which is handy if you go to Full Fibre and it will still be useable.

Black Friday will soon be soon be here so if you can wait you might get a good price.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Interesting thread.

I wasn't personally aware of any differences in the allowed local subnets that can be used on the Plusnet Hub Two versus the BT Smarthub 2.

Given this is evident in the Hub One though, then I've a feeling I know how it might have come to be. I'm fairly certain there's no requirement for the restriction any more though, so will do some digging and see about getting the behaviour changed in a future firmware.

Not sure about the DHCP observation in the OP though as I have the DHCP server disabled on my Hub Two and it works fine. I'm guessing it's possibly an extension of the private subnet problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Felindre
Hooked

Just to close out on this I ordered a TP-LINK AC2100 and have configured and got it running fully without changing any of my existing network. 

Also having complained to plusnet they agreed to refund the postage on the defunct hub2. I'm going to use their 'return redundant equipment' to return it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and assistance.