Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting with TP-Link ER605

FIXED
TheJayBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Problems connecting with TP-Link ER605

I know a number of you use the TP-Link ER605 so I'm hoping you can help me please.

I have Full Fibre 145 with a Hub 2.

I am trying to replace the Hub 2 with a TP-Link ER605.  I have connected it all up (including connecting the WAN port to the Openreach ONT).  I am using the Quick Start to set up the PlusNet connection.  The settings I have put in are:

• Connection Type PPPoE
  • Username xxxxxx@plusdsl.net (where xxxxxx is my PlusNet username)
  • Password xxxxxx (my PlusNet Account Login password)

It fails to connect with the message PPPOE xxxxxx@plusdsl.net failed to connect to the server because authentication failed with the wrong username or password.

I have quadruple checked the username and password (I've even used copy and paste) to confirm they are the same username and password as my PlusNet Account Login.  I can only conclude that the PlusNet network password is different to my account password but how to check?

Any help gratefully received.

BTW, the log messages are:

WAN: PPPoE Discovery phase negotiation succeeded. (AC-MAC=20-e0-9c-df-3a-b7, Session-ID=0x057d)

WAN: LCP negotiation succeeded. (MTU=1492, AUTH=chap)

WAN: LCP negotiation succeeded. (MTU=1492, AUTH=chap)

[48-22-54-CE-4C-70]: PPPOE xxxxxx@plusdsl.net failed to connect to the server because authentication failed with the wrong username or password.

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Problems connecting with TP-Link ER605

I can only conclude that the PlusNet network password is different to my account password but how to check?

The username and password are the same as the account ones. You can check the username & password by logging into the member centre here https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login

I use an ER605 and I can assure you it works fine.

I appreciate you've checked the username & password but it really does look like what you are entering into the ER605 isnt correct.

Just to check, what hardware version is your ER605 and what f/w version ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheJayBee
Rising Star

ER605 is hardware V2 and the firmware is ER605v2_un_2.1.2_20230210-rel62992_up_2023-02-10_17.32.06.bin

I have manually typed the username and password into my router and PlusNet account login so many times. I have even used a text file with the username and password typed in it and then copy/paste those to my router and to my PlusNet Account login. I don't know what else to do to make sure they are the same! There doesn't seem to be a way to display the Hub 2 network password.

Are there any other PPPoE settings I need to tie check or change.

TheJayBee
Rising Star

I'm going to change my PlusNet Account password, leave it for a few hours and then try again with the new password.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That's exactly the same hardware & firmware version as mine.

I have even used a text file with the username and password typed in it and then copy/paste those to my router and to my PlusNet Account login. I don't know what else to do to make sure they are the same!

Sounds like you've done just about everything

There doesn't seem to be a way to display the Hub 2 network password.

There isn't, it would be a security issue if there was.

Are there any other PPPoE settings I need to tie check or change.

Make sure you haven't got VLAN enabled.

I've attached picture of my WAN settings for info

'm going to change my PlusNet Account password, leave it for a few hours and then try again with the new password.

I hestitated to suggest that, as Ive seen it go wrong on occasion but if everything else fails, try with a simple pw

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheJayBee
Rising Star

Fix

Thank you so much for your help.

So, I changed my PlusNet Account Password and used the new password on the ER605 and it worked!

Somehow, my network password was different to my account password.  A change of account password has got them back in sync.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Strange!

Anyway, glad you got it working.

I am pleased with my ER605, had it about 6 months now. It copes fine with my 900/115 FTTP connection.

A colleague got one a month ago , used on a Virgin connection. He noticed that the CPU usage was showing about 30% whereas mine is only about 2%. Traced it to the IP Statistics defaulting to On. Unless you really want to gather stats about traffic to/from every IP it sees, I suggest you either disable it or at least specify an IP range to monitor.

It's configured in Traffic Statistics->IP Statistics