cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy warning

rgilyead
Grafter

Privacy warning

Noticed today that my iPhone is giving a "privacy warning" message next to my wifi network name. The detailed message says that, "This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic" and, "The names of websites and other servers your device accesses on this network may be monitored and recorded by other devices on this network". Is this something to worry about and why has it only just appeared? An iOS update perhaps?

8 REPLIES 8
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Privacy warning

Hiya @rgilyhead, I'm really sorry for any concern caused. The message you are seeing is due to a recent iOS update; iOS now advocates WPA3 as a standard form of Wi-Fi security and so it'll flag up any WPA2 (the type our, and most other providers router use) or earlier type security.

Please be assured, that this doesn't mean your network is insecure and this won't impact your WiFi signal.

Please get back to us should you have any further queries at all.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
rgilyead
Grafter

Many thanks for the reassurance.
kennethmcleod
Dabbler

i had the same on my iphone, i fogot the network, and put wifi code again, and changed nwtwork name and passcode on router and although its sorted it for a bit it still apeared, very strange

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@kennethmcleod As pointed out above, this is nothing to worry about - it is just Apple being Apple and 'security conscious' Have you ever suffered an attack?

John
kennethmcleod
Dabbler

No not that I’m aware of, but it’s good to know it’s no one watching what you’re doing safety is something we need to be aware of.
NOLBwithaD

Hi Lauren and thanks for your reassurance. 

Can you advise when WPA3 will be enabled on my home router?  I'm somewhat concerned that as a relatively new customer with a new Plus.net router, that this security is not available on my router, considering it appears to have been made official in June 2018. Does Plus.net have a roadmap/plans to implement?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@NOLBwithaD Very, very few modem/routers, hubs or whatever you call them have this encryption at the moment, even considerably more expensive ones available commercially, and although it has been around for a while, for home users it is really just 'nice to have' rather than essential, despite the likes of Apple pushing it.

John
NOLBwithaD

Thank you, Your answer much appreciated.