cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power off vs Restart Vs Reset? Hub One

MrMK

Power off vs Restart Vs Reset? Hub One

Hi, I have the Plusnet Hub One.
Could someone explain to me (in simple terms) the difference between powering the router off (button at the rear), restarting it (top button) and resetting it using the pin through the hole?
I have a rough idea but I'm slightly confused about the effect that each of the 3 functions above have on the router.
Any answers appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Power off vs Restart Vs Reset? Hub One

Hey @MrMK,

If you press the power button, this will just do a normal reboot, which won't affect any of the internal router settings at all. If you reset the router using the RESET pin hole, this will trigger a factory reset and return all of the internal router settings back to the factory default settings. Ideally, if you just want to reboot the router, then pressing the power button on the router is the better option as it's typically quicker and keeps the settings as you're used to. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @TheMightyAJ and @MrMK 

My understanding on a Hub One is if you press the On/Off button it will turn the device off not reboot it and its a toggle switch either In (ON) or Out (OFF). Power Off followed by a Power On would be considered to be a cold boot, power is removed from the device.

Switching off modem/routers should be avoided as the upstream devices see a lost DSL connection which maybe interpreted as a failure of some sort, this is why repeated powering off of a modem should be avoided.

A restart of the modem should send upstream disconnect messages and the connection would be closed gracefully. A restart would be considered as a warm reboot, power is maintained to the device during the reboot process.

Both Restart and Reset can be achieved on the Hub One menus found from the Home Page in >Advanced Settings >System

The same rules apply to all computer systems, just switching off should be avoided. If the device is locked up then you have no choice another than to hit the switch.

Dan

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Dan_the_Van 

Thanks for the explanation of what the reset button does. I have never seen it explained in any of the Plusnet guides.

The one thing that I would add is that to switch the Hub off without risking inciting DLM action is to go in to the  Advanced/Home Page and select Disconnect before powering off, and,q as you say, close the connection down gracefully first.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MrMK

@Dan_the_Van
Thanks for your answer, it's appreciated.
So turning off the router is just a simple switch off, a restart is the same as a reboot, and a full reset using the pin hole sets the router back to default settings.
Have I got this right?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@MrMK 

Yes you are correct in your thinking

Dan.