Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding using Plusnet hub 2 for Arlo cctv

FIXED
arothwell22

Port forwarding using Plusnet hub 2 for Arlo cctv

Hello, 

Received hub 2 a couple of weeks ago and trying to st up port forward for Arlo cctv cameras.  Looked at previous threads which haven’t helped me!  Wanting to access videos on phone when away from home outside of Wi-Fi zone.  I can get live pictures but when get notification of movement I can’t then see recording which is through Arlo video hub with usb stick for hard drive.  It is the external and internal ports start and end numbers that I have no idea what to use. I went to customer support but were unable to help.  Can anyone please help?  Thank you 

7 REPLIES 7
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Port forwarding using Plusnet hub 2 for Arlo cctv

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Seem like the port is defined in the secure app https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

arothwell22

Thank you, this gives me more information. It appears to say I need to configure a VPN on my router and mobile device. I will therefore have a look into this and see if I can set up. Hopefully I can sort from here unless you know what this actually means for me to do.  Thank you

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The Plusnet hub 2 doesn't have VPN  support.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

arothwell22

Ok thank you. I guess I will have to manage with what I have or change to paying for cloud storage. Again thanks for your time

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

You don't need to use a VPN, you can use port forwarding as explained in the help article. Arlo simply recommend using the VPN route as exposing ports to the Internet can be considered a security risk.

The ports and IP address you need to use for the port forwarding rule are shown when enabling the functionality in the Arlo app: -

Screenshot_20230118-214159.png

The alternative of course, is to pay Arlo for a cloud subscription.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

arothwell22

Brilliant!  Thank you. Went into the Arlo app which had a port forwarding section to enable and then gave me the IP address to use along with the Port numbers.  It now works. So again many thanks