Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding

Jord9857
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Port Forwarding

Hi,

I've got a netgear router plugged into my Plusnet router, I've setup the OpenVPN client & server on it.

I need to setup a port forward on my Plusnet Hub One router so I can use OpenVPN to connect the Netgear router.

I've setup a 'Application' called OpenVPN and put the protocol TCP (as it is on my netgear) and port range as 1194 and translate to 1194 (as it's on my netgear router), I've added it as an application and put the netgear WAN IP as the device and I'm using the Plusnet router's IP as the remote OpenVPN client.

Even when I'm connected to the Plusnet router, I can't browse to that Netgear WAN IP so there's some issue with the port forwarding, I had a little look down the pre-set default 'applications' but not sure if there's any suitable ones for this...

10 REPLIES 10
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Port Forwarding

Hi @Jord9857 

Which Netgear Router are you using? 

Routers connected to Routers creates double NAT I'm reasonable sure what you are doing will not work see here

Dan.

Jord9857
Hooked

Netgear WNDR3700 V4

I've got DD-WRT firmware on the netgear router and they seem to think it's to do with the port forwarding on the Plusnet router

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Have you read the web link I sent you?

The devices connected to one private network might have communication problems with the devices connected to the other private network, and you might experience problems with:

• Online games
  • VPN connections
  • Port forwarding and triggering
  • Secure websites that use SSL

As I said before, I don't think it will work as expected. Suggest you look to buy a Openreach Modem from a auction site.

Dan.

Edit :- Does the WAN interface need enabling to allow for remote access? Remote access would be considered connections to the WAN interface.

Jord9857
Hooked

Where is this WAN interface option?

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Hi,

I've never had needed to use DD-WRT firmware so you would need the reference to help pages for DD-WRT firmware regards

accessing the Netgear interface via the WAN IP Address. 

A matter of interest what are you trying to achieve?

Dan.

Jord9857
Hooked

I want to access the network outside the house using OpenVPN
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

This https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1101243 might be of help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Thanks @MisterW hope that helps the OP

For what is worth, I use a Raspberry pi for my VPN Server, it was simple to setup see https://www.pivpn.io/ 

Dan.

Jord9857
Hooked

My Netgear Router is fine for devices connecting to it to use the OpenVPN client which is setup with a Nord server.
I would like to just setup the OpenVPN server on there so I can also remote into this router when outside the house to access the network, if this is possible to do on a raspberry pi then I'll do this instead, what model/spec? Is there a guide?
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

There is lots of help on the internet here a couple of examples.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/ 

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-vpn-server-with-raspberry-pi 

I'm using pi lite (no desktop installed) installed on a 8Gb micro sd card, current hardware is a pi 2. I choose 'Wireguard' rather than OpenVPN

You do not need a high spec version and it may be possible still to buy a pi 3b they would be cheaper the current hardware.