cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet smart hub 2

Msailg

Plusnet smart hub 2

I have just joined Plusnet and have been sent the smart hub 2. Does anyone know if this router will work with the BT black discs as per their BT smart hub 2? I have the white disc mesh system which works well but have to disable the router WiFi or use as a separate SSID. I would like to upgrade to the black discs without having to reconfigure a BT smart hub 2.

6 REPLIES 6
Kezman50

Re: Plusnet smart hub 2

I’m in similar boat to you I think. Bt customer for years but as from tomorrow moving over to Plusnet. Tomorrow is our activation date.

So strictly speaking, I believe you have been sent a plusnet Hub2 not “smart hub 2”……as far as I’m aware the plusnet Hub2 and Bt smart Hub 2 are identical apart from a couple of small differences one of which is in the firmware of plusnet’s Hub2 that stops Bt black complete WiFi disks from working with the Hub 2 router. We have 2 black Bt mesh disks that I think slightly helpled in improving any dead spots that from tomorrow will have to wave goodbye to.

Going to post a separate thread to get some feedback from others as to what my options are to improve WiFi signal in rooms further away from plusnet router.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Both of you may be able to continue with your current router(s), and therefore your WiFi discs. You just need to log on to the router's interface and change the username/password from the BT one to the Plusnet one.

There are plenty of posts on the forum regarding how to set up the BT Hub to use with Plusnet.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@Jaggies But, from 2019, Hubs/discs/w.h.y. supplied by BT Retail/Broadband are on loan only, and should be returned when the user switches providers.

John
Msailg

Yes I know, I have the white discs but was considering purchasing the black discs. Thanks for poking the loan issue out to remind us all.

Msailg

I have the new Plusnet router and was asking if the black BT discs would work with it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 416

@Msailg according to this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Plusnet-Hub-2-amp-BT-Discs/m-p/1848354#M30117

its not possible to use the Black discs with the Plusnet Hub

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.