cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet hub one

Ijmatravers
Dabbler

Plusnet hub one

Plusnet hub makes high pitched noises randomly now as well as having problems dropping wireless signal and ping being all over the place ie 28 one second and then 600+ the next makes gaming practically impossible
25 REPLIES 25
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet hub one

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @Ijmatravers

Thanks a lot for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your broadband service. Testing the line today hasn't found any underlying issues with the service, though the L2TP profile on our side did need resetting after a recent drop in sync speed. 

Going forward, I'd like to access your router settings to make some changes which are likely to improve your wireless service. This will drop the connection for a brief moment though, so I'll need the green light from you before I proceed. 

Saying that, we always advise that high spec gaming is better done via an Ethernet connection, if that's not convenient, it might be worth looking into using PowerLine Adapters. It looks like my colleague Jodie is also in the process of sending a new router out given the fact it's making noises. 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Ijmatravers
Dabbler

Hello and thank you for your fast reply that’s completely fine to go ahead and alter settings which may improve things as I’ll take any help I can get, my online gaming is done via Ethernet cable which is why the massive swings in ping is so concerning but any help you can give in this matter is greatly appreciated
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah fair enough, I've just run a Smart Wireless Scan on the router itself anyway, it's changed the channels on both frequencies to those best for your environment. In terms of ping, what servers are you pinging? 

Adam
Ijmatravers
Dabbler

Ah fingers crossed that will help with the wireless signal and randomly disconnecting, I’m not sure what servers are causing the issues I play a lot of rocket league and it shows your ping in game as well as showing high latency and latency variation more often than it used to which makes the game jump all over the place and almost impossible to play
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah fair enough, pinging game servers isn't always the best way to determine whether you have any issues with your broadband through your ISP to be honest, ping times can differ from one game server to another you see, and at different times during the day. 

Let's see whether we can improve the internal connection though, keep us posted. Smiley 

Adam
Ijmatravers
Dabbler

Hi Adam connection issues still seem to be somewhat erratic and when using SpeedTest.net to determine my connection speed today it’s barely going above 6mbps when it’s supposed to be 37-54 in the estimate which is concerning
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm really sorry that speeds are still an issue. I've just been running diagnostic tests on the line and everything is looking fine according to that, were you connected over WiFi or ethernet when you noticed it running around 6mbps? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ijmatravers
Dabbler

Hi i was connected via Ethernet cable when I did the speed test so for it to be that low is shockingly bad
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hello,

I'm really sorry to see you're having a lot of speed issues still.

I'd like to arrange a Qube engineer (working on behalf of BT) to take a closer look and help out. Could you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here then post back once you've done so?

I'll then make sure we book the engineer for you as soon as we can. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ijmatravers
Dabbler

Hello I have replied to the ticket on my account as well as the email sent to me regarding further tests on the line with picture verification from my Ethernet cable connected desktop pc using both btwholesale and SpeedTest.net both registered results of 7.18 and 7.12 mbps respectively
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers, I've arranged the Qube engineer for you now and updated the ticket with the appointment details.

Let me know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ijmatravers
Dabbler

So the engineer came and apparently found no fault with the line at all stating speeds of 31mbps and yet when I got home from work and checked again at 5.30 yet again speeds were showing at between 7 and 9 mbps somethings isn’t quite adding up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There is a difference between line sync speed and usable data speed.

Can you please post the line stats from the router?

Data speed can be impacted by multitude of things, including your PC, what else is using the network, the back haul from the exchange and the specific data speed test site you use.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.